18 or 19" tire options for notched frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
When we measured it out the number was 3.5 to 4”. Split the difference at 3.75 (my bad, that’s the real number). I can roll and even “stretch” fenders outward but I can’t move anything inward. Time will tell.
FYI, nothing on the front end of the car is stock. It has drop spindles, wilwood hubs and brakes and QA1 coil overs as well.

Attachments

• 266C7470-A19C-4D4F-9B3B-632EB3BF1C0E.jpeg
    266C7470-A19C-4D4F-9B3B-632EB3BF1C0E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 161
  • 7CEE1BD1-610B-4123-A8D0-42BA423058B5.jpeg
    7CEE1BD1-610B-4123-A8D0-42BA423058B5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
When we measured it out the number was 3.5 to 4”. Split the difference at 3.75 (my bad, that’s the real number). I can roll and even “stretch” fenders outward but I can’t move anything inward. Time will tell.

FYI, nothing on the front end of the car is stock. It has drop spindles, wilwood hubs and brakes and QA1 coil overs as well.
El Camino's & Malibu's share the same plastic inner fender wells as far as I remember from the ones I owned previously. Those plastic inner wells attach to the outer fender lip. Not sure how much that combo (plastic inner attached to the steel outer lip) can be pushed out. I don't recall those hubs reducing track width so my concern would be clearance @ the outer edge & why I would opt for increasing the back space.

Ultimately, it will depend on the vehicles final ride height as a 26.6" tall tire up front is going to need some space to travel w/o contact.

• Agree

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
El Camino's & Malibu's share the same plastic inner fender wells as far as I remember from the ones I owned previously. Those plastic inner wells attach to the outer fender lip. Not sure how much that combo (plastic inner attached to the steel outer lip) can be pushed out. I don't recall those hubs reducing track width so my concern would be clearance @ the outer edge & why I would opt for increasing the back space.

Ultimately, it will depend on the vehicles final ride height as a 26.6" tall tire up front is going to need some space to travel w/o contact.
All very good points. As I said, too late to change the wheels. At this point if it hits and we can’t fix it working on the fender or wheel well I will go to a narrower tire. Tires are $250 each and wheels are $850 each. I can sell the tires but not the “one off”wheels. As I said, when we measured it those were the numbers. We did the mock up for ride height, etc. with 225/75/15 (28.3”) tire on it. Here is a pic as it sat when measurements were taken.

Attachments

• D2D786FA-4779-4DB0-A24D-F22E57ECEEFC.jpeg
    D2D786FA-4779-4DB0-A24D-F22E57ECEEFC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 148

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
All very good points. As I said, too late to change the wheels. At this point if it hits and we can’t fix it working on the fender or wheel well I will go to a narrower tire. Tires are $250 each and wheels are $850 each. I can sell the tires but not the “one off” wheels. As I said, when we measured it those were the numbers. We did the mock up for ride height, etc. with 225/75/15 (28.3”) tire on it. Here is a pic as it sat when measurements were taken.
Is that before or after the modded suspension?

Reactions: 1 user

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
The variance of these cars just amazes me.
When we notched the frame and put the rear end set up in we were able to work out an almost 3/4” variance between the hub to wheel well measurement it had before we pulled the body to work on the notch and frame. We did all the frame work while it was on jig so we could try and keep it as straight as possible with all the cutting and welding. Your right, there is big differences not only between cars but within them as well.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
When we notched the frame and put the rear end set up in we were able to work out an almost 3/4” variance between the hub to wheel well measurement it had before we pulled the body to work on the notch and frame. We did all the frame work while it was on jig so we could try and keep it as straight as possible with all the cutting and welding. Your right, there is big differences not only between cars but within them as well.
Agreed.

There's no way an 8"/3.75BS wheel w/a 26.5" tall front tire would fit under my 78 (even w/just the drop spindles/2" drop total). For reference, I'm acquiring parts for the Round #2 mods. My plan is to remove the 2" spindles for 1" spindles & PBR/C6 big brakes. I measured my current set-up & can squeeze an 8" wheel w/5-5.25" BS (I mounted an 18x8 wheel w/5"BS for checking clearances). With a shorter tire than your combo (25.5-25.7") I'll still need to modify/fabricate new, taller, front inner fender wells that also allow more clearance toward the fender lip vs what the plastic wells allow.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Agreed.

There's no way an 8"/3.75BS wheel w/a 26.5" tall front tire would fit under my 78 (even w/just the drop spindles/2" drop total). For reference, I'm acquiring parts for the Round #2 mods. My plan is to remove the 2" spindles for 1" spindles & PBR/C6 big brakes. I measured my current set-up & can squeeze an 8" wheel w/5-5.25" BS (I mounted an 18x8 wheel w/5"BS for checking clearances). With a shorter tire than your combo (25.5-25.7") I'll still need to modify/fabricate new, taller, front inner fender wells that also allow more clearance toward the fender lip vs what the plastic wells allow.
The adjustable coil overs have made the stance in the pic possible. I had to crank them up almost an inch to get where it’s at. From that position I can prolly go up one more inch or down 2-2.5” by cranking the springs up or down. It’s going to start getting stiff if I go up anymore than that. I can adjust compression a bit but it’s going to take a different spring to go up much more and still ride decently.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The adjustable coil overs have made the stance in the pic possible. I had to crank them up almost an inch to get where it’s at. From that position I can prolly go up one more inch or down 2-2.5” by cranking the springs up or down. It’s going to start getting stiff if I go up anymore than that. I can adjust compression a bit but it’s going to take a different spring to go up much more and still ride decently.
What is the current spring/shock stroke (lengths/rate) you're set-up is starting with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor