18" wheels on my 87 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
You can't go wrong with the look of the factory rally especially with an actual 442. I widened my rears to 15x8s which would allow for a 295/50. Anyway 18s look good with the factory wheelwells and bodylines bigger always seems to look too big for the car.

The 442 was built to be a performance car specifically more of a muscle car even though the 307 couldn't provide much muscle. At least it had character. Anyway to upgrade the car with more serious and fitting muscle would seem to be the most important ideal and fitting upgrade. Some people could care less all show and no go is fine with them. If that is you then traction for acceleration does not matter much and therefore any tire that meets your looks requirement will work. If you also want to accelerate hard I wouldn't go bigger than an 18 with stock wheelwells and would consider drag radials for the rear.

http://Www.tirerack.com. site can search tires by size sort by price shows pics and gives reviews. It's great. For example the Firestone firehawk has 245/45/18s (26.7" tall) that match looks and size well with http://www.mandhtires.com drag radial 275/45/18. It's 28.0 tall same as the common gbody muscle car size 275/60/15. Anyway food for though and tools for searching & comparing. Hope that helps.

Edit. They also have a 345/35/18 (28.0 tall) if you are willing to do a frame notch.

tt442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
Thanks guys I love the look of the factory rims on it because they actually do look the best. Unfortunatly they are super rusted from my buddies dogs pissing on them ever day when I stop by his house. After seeing the 17" I think 18's are too small as well. This has got to be the most difficult thing to decide on a car.

tt442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
I found some 16X8 american racing nitro wheels for a really good price but I cant picture the car with them on it.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Blake442 said:
Keep the stock SSIII's and get some 235/60's for the front and 255/60's for the rear.
Amen!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Just keep in mind that big rim, small tire combos may LOOK great, but the ride can be a diff story unless u never drive on bumpy roads or railroad tracks, etc. Comfort always wins hands down over looks in my book....just sayin... :lol:

tt442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the link now thats what im talking about. My dream cars on top of it. wish they would put more info on what their wheels are

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Sorry if my post didn't help. Keep in mind even if you are not concerned with hard acceleration jumbo 22s should be accompanied by.big brakes. Love big brakes just keep the whole project price in mind.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/billet_special.asp

thats where I got my 17's I have a 88 Cutlass Brougham white 307

I'm 'scraping' with the 17's as is and glad I didnt get 18's. I actually wanted 16s but the rim I wanted didnt come in 16. The chrome finish on billet specialties is very good and if you wash the wheels often shouldn't start rusting for a while. The billet B caps look spectacular rolling up the street, and the rocket icon matches the general theme of the car

I 'dis-recomend' doing the trendy thing and running 18-20 inch wheels and the accompanying braking/ shocks/ transmission issues that come with that whole ideology and save $$$ to invest in engine and rear end parts. I'd also like to point out that if you like doing an occasional burnout the 18s are dumb and its hard enough to do with 17s already. That site ran me about 1200, but that was including the shipping and the wheels came w/ tires inflated to proper psi and some nice meaty BFG's too.

lets not get too carried away on riiiims us guys with the 307 need to have bread on deck for engine problems at all times!

tt442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2011
Now im really unsure Some say 18s some say 17s some say nothing large. I know I dont like the looks of 20" or anything larger. I really like 17 and 18. I know I really dont like 15". I guess the best thing to do is sit on it a bit and think about it. I wanted to order them tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor