1971 VW Super beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know much about 70's VW Beetles but I can tell you from my view in the passenger seat that they loose in a head on with a 68 Buick Wildcat and I'm glad the front windshields are not too thick..... :mrgreen:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I remember those days well...pilfering parts from dumped cars on the street or the back fields where I used to live.. :lol:
There was some good pickin's back then.

I know what you mean about automatic beetles...they were such slugs. My last one was a '73 Super Beetle automatic. It was a great running dependable car. I added a header, rejetted the carb , added a power pulley..and for a slug-omatic it performed pretty well.
I got the car so cheap at the time, I couldn't complain about it that much.
So you actually swapped one over to standard shift. That's probably the best thing you could've done for those cars.

The old Kendal GT-1 was some excellent oil. I ran and broke in my Chevy engine with it and have used it in my various other German cars.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
I don't know much about 70's VW Beetles but I can tell you from my view in the passenger seat that they loose in a head on with a 68 Buick Wildcat and I'm glad the front windshields are not too thick..... :mrgreen:
Steve,
I had a nice '61 sunroof European beetle that was rear ended by a Buick Rivera. I had the tiny little oval taillight lenses that you couldn't see for sh*t. So yeah, these cars crumpled up pretty easily...as much as I love 'em.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I took my road test on my Dad's '59 Bug. Failed. The shifter was so sloppy you weren't sure what gear you were in until you tried to move- I was in 3rd. :wtf: This thing had semiphores- turn signals that flipped out from the pillars, and a 3 gallon reserve in the fuel tank. You yanked a handle to get reserve fuel. Someone actually stole that POS!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
I took my road test on my Dad's '59 Bug. Failed. The shifter was so sloppy you weren't sure what gear you were in until you tried to move- I was in 3rd. :wtf: This thing had semiphores- turn signals that flipped out from the pillars, and a 3 gallon reserve in the fuel tank. You yanked a handle to get reserve fuel. Someone actually stole that POS!
You're right, the shifters in those early bugs really sucked. Sloppy is the right term.
You didn't see many with semiphores. Of course they were European cars. My '61 didn't have semiphores, but the speedo was in Kph. Someone tried to steal that car as well...life in NYC.. :roll: They broke the vent window to get in and f**ked with the ignition switch, but didn't get the car. It had a steering/ignition lock, which I've never seen in another old beetle. They boggered the ignition switch, so I ended up using a button to start the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor