ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
That one really looks nice, I love how the wheels tie in to the paint scheme and how they didn't use outlandish colors, and of course the simplicity of the non-computerized '78 powertain. Of course it's probably too old school for the younger generation to be interested in, but if I had $4k lying around I'd give it a serious thought- that car would be a good investment.

I know I'm one of the few idiots who loves wagons :roll: I'm thinking of bidding on this one (even though it's not a G body) just to spray a fresh base/clear on and use as a summer beach cruiser and tower for my little boat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrole ... enameZWDVW
-Mark-

79Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2007
Omaha, Nebraska
Uncletruck said:
I know I'm one of the few idiots who loves wagons

IDIOTS???!!!??? I have always loved wagons!!! I admit I like this Grand Am , if this would have been offered before I bought the Hurst I probably would have snagged it!!!

I would look way cool with a shaker sticking through the hood!!!!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have always been partial to wagons too. There are times that I think it is a real shame that GM never offered some of the more sporty model front clips on a wagon body style. Something like that '78 Grand Am nose on a Lemans wagon, or a 442 nose on a Cutlass Cruiser, a Grand National nose on a Buick Century wagon, or a Monte SS nose on a Malibu wagon (and yes, I know about the El Camino SS nose that you can get, but it was never offered from GM). I think that a wagon like that would be really neat.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
I have actually seen this car in person, the guy drives it almost daily. I saw it at a swap meet back in february and started talking to the guy and mentioned that it was a shame that he drove that rare of a car in the winter. He mentioned that I was the only one all day that even said anything about the car and we talked for a bit. He mentioned he was thinking of selling it so that hopefully someone could give the car the attention it deserves. He did not want someone to end up with it that was going to modify it extensivly.

Pretty nice guy. I emailed him and asked if he was the same guy and turns out it is. I would love to have the car.

LedPhoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Washington NC
Wagons are fun... and if you want to resell it can make a good "donk". I like the GP seems like they are a love/hate bodystyle to most.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
The GP love/hate thing went back to the early years...controversial front end design mostly. By the time the G-Body was introduced in '78, there was opposition to the downsizing by some, not a thrifty enough vehicle by others. Pontiac mailed out a little advertisement to previous owners around 1980 comparing the V6 GP to the Toyota Corolla I believe. I thought, "Wow, since when does the "personal/performance" king try to compete with the econoboxes"? The answer was "since the Arabs cut off the oil".

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
That is hilarious with GM trying to change their image camparing the GP to a Corolla in 1980! Just three years earlier in 1977 prior to the '78 downsize the GP was one of the heaviest guzzlers in the GM lineup. Most of those auto ads back in the late '70's and early '80's were comparison based, some of the comparisons being very unrealistic. One I remember best was one comparing the Ford Grenada to a Mercedes :lol:
-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor