1978 Malibu header recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
Keep in mind that these cars were mass produced, and have several rubber parts supporting various components so the exact dimensions of those "tight" spots vary from car to car. I'm sure that every header manufacturer strives to create a product that fits the application, it's hard to do when the dimensions vary! That being said, the "best" fitment I've experienced was Shoenfeld. I'm running large tube stepped primary pipe and 3.5" collectors, and the only slight interference I experienced was the mount for the slave cylinder (third gen F-body 5-speed). The only drawback with Shoenfeld is that they're race car stuff, so they don't have street hookups and I don't think they're available in coated, although that's easy enough to have done. Several people on the Yahoo G-body group recommend them as a best fit for the chassis. Just my 2 cents worth.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I have a set of Hooker 2451s on my Malibu and I had no problems getting them to fit. Easiest way on the driver's side though is to take the oil filter off and slide it up through the bottom, also the starter needs to come off the passenger's side. What HP level is the engine running at? It may be better to go with a set of shorties, should help with clearance around the oil filter & starter, and it may help keep the starter a hair cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor