1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We experienced the same thing with the BJ boots. Bought some aftermarket ones form Southside Machine and they cracked before the car ever made it to the street. I think the standard replacements that come with cheap BJ's at a parts store are more durable. And ones from Moog or the General are much better. I just changed out the factory originals on my MC and they were fine (no cracks.)

Not familiar with having to cut the frame for coilover clearance. I recently swapped in a set of BMR arms on my son's car with QA1 coilovers and there aren't any clearance issues. Please explain.

Glad to see you making progress!!

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
We experienced the same thing with the BJ boots. Bought some aftermarket ones form Southside Machine and they cracked before the car ever made it to the street. I think the standard replacements that come with cheap BJ's at a parts store are more durable. And ones from Moog or the General are much better. I just changed out the factory originals on my MC and they were fine (no cracks.)

Not familiar with having to cut the frame for coilover clearance. I recently swapped in a set of BMR arms on my son's car with QA1 coilovers and there aren't any clearance issues. Please explain.

Overkill is my name

Using the Chicane kit here https://speedtechperformance.com/product/g-body-chicane-brackets/ to go true coilover instead of the hybrid kits that are out there.
Install instructions https://speedtechperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/50560_77-87-G-Body_Chicane.pdf

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas

Overkill is my name

Using the Chicane kit here https://speedtechperformance.com/product/g-body-chicane-brackets/ to go true coilover instead of the hybrid kits that are out there.
Install instructions https://speedtechperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/50560_77-87-G-Body_Chicane.pdf
Chicane set-up allows for the longer stroke shock & spring combo of a true col-over arrangement.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Little time spent in the garage this weekend on front end mock up. Looks like the drop spindles I picked up years ago will not be cooperating with the 17x9.5 I want to run on the front. These wheels are 5.5" backspacing with a 1/4" spacer to get to this point.

Looks like I'm off to shop for some stock spindles to move the steering arm into a more favorable position and keep on moving with measurements for the new front coilovers.

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Little time spent in the garage this weekend on front end mock up. Looks like the drop spindles I picked up years ago will not be cooperating with the 17x9.5 I want to run on the front. These wheels are 5.5" backspacing with a 1/4" spacer to get to this point.

Looks like I'm off to shop for some stock spindles to move the steering arm into a more favorable position and keep on moving with measurements for the new front coilovers.
The issue can get worse (aggressive backspacing vs TRE clearance) if using taller than OE lower BJ's as well so keep that in mind depending on your final objectives.

BTW.... What size tires do you have on those 17's for mock-up?

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
The issue can get worse (aggressive backspacing vs TRE clearance) if using taller than OE lower BJ's as well so keep that in mind depending on your final objectives.

BTW.... What size tires do you have on those 17's for mock-up?
I'm "trying" to use 275/40/17, same as the rear. Worst case I have to step down to 255/40/17 and ultimate worse case I step down to a 17x8.

Of course all avenues will be taken before I step down in size

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm "trying" to use 275/40/17, same as the rear. Worst case I have to step down to 255/40/17 and ultimate worse case I step down to a 17x8.

Of course all avenues will be taken before I step down in size
Gotcha. I was trying to figure out what the width was looking @ the sidewall 'bulge' in the posted images. 275's was my guess.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Off the stands for ride height mock up. Sacrificing some cool points on stance to keep good ground clearance and suspension travel. Need to get on the hunt for some stock 79+ spindles to work out the front suspension clearance with the tie rods too close to the wheel inners still then see about tire to frame interference. May have to notch and plate frame for max clearance.....

Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do you need some factory or aftermarket spindles?

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor