1978 MALIBU "PROJECT TUMMY TUCK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
Looking sweet bro! That column looks a lot better in TT then it did in the original brown sugar

85gbody

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2010
Long Beach, Cali.
damn bruh!! puttin in mad work. mali is lookin beast! :shock:
been a minute since ive been on, shes coming along quick and well. keep up the hardwork, its starting to pay off.
cant wait to see the finished project. :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Thanks guys for all the great comments....u guys help me stay motivated to get her done...shes almost there... :wink:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Got out of bed this morning and went straight to work!!!

Not waiting on my bro in law n e more!!! To get him over here to help me cut out and weld the floor will take years!!

Took out the grinder/metal cutting wheel and started cutting for my first time, yes little sparks go me on the neck/ face etc... I did use my goggles and gloves, long sleeves as well, man cuting metal is a misson, u need ti be in the right position or u will get tired fast!!!

Here is the floor pan cut out, grinded the ends to when time to tack it will hold good..maybe tomorrow i will take out the welder and practice my welds and a low start...in to get this rug and front seat in already..my cat and 1yr old are getting to comfortable, lying on it, jumping on it, milk stans, etc :rofl:

2f8c4db9.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Tried out the welder and practiced my welding, OF COURSE IT SUCKS, mad props to all welders!! :rofl: :rofl:

Im sure with some more practice i will get it...one thing i did notice was that on some tachs it would put holes threw the metal, and i was already on the lowest voltage... i got the sheet metal at "homedepot" and thats the best they have 12gagues sheetmetal..i think i need a size bigger, but where do u get a piece of sheetmetal??? I guess i need to look around for a good thick sheet metal, and tackle this floor already..chime in if u know a spot to get it and what size u think i should use?

7987724e.jpg

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx
hey bro couple of suggestions for you

1st check and see what the sheetmetal thickness the floor pans are. I think the 12 ga (.104) sheet metal is right around the proper size, so what you have should be good. 10 ga ( .135) might work also but it might be too thick if you want have it flush with the existing floor. btw dont buy your sheetmetal at Homedepot or Lowes it is way overpriced for what you are getting. find a metal supplier in your area. the price of what you paid for a small piece at HW you can get a very large sheet. they might also have a scrap section that they practically give away for cheap.

the next problem i see is you are either using a Flux-core welder (gasless) or you ran out of gas (argon/CO2) on your mig welder. if you are not using gas i strongly recomend getting your welder setup for it. The quality of your weld will be day and night and the results will be ten times better.

if your are using flux core, your welds might improve slightly with practice but i really recomend uprgrading to gas if possible. if not then practice on some scrap first and see if you can dial it in until they look reasonable. and if the welder is at its lowest setting and still blowing through it could be your welder. i know Harbor Freight sells the cheap welders and they click on preset heat settings so makes it hard to dial it in correctly, you need a welder that doesnt click (variable) on the dials. btw take a pic of your welder so we see what you are working with. welding is not hard once you get the hang of it and use the right tools.

sorry so long but hope this helps. keep up the great work!!

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
19elcamino82:
Thanks for all the great info... Very helpful, so the welder is my bro in laws, he owns a shop and works on old school VW, he welds floor pans all the time, im assuming with this welder...no its not gas , i think its a stick welder arc??

What im going to do is try to get him over here on the weekend, maybe im doing something wrong, heck! I dont know what the hell im doing with a welder.. :rofl: :rofl:

If not i think i will take it to my muffler guy and have him tach it up...he might know where to get a good piece of sheet metal..but heres a pic of the welder...

2a04252c.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
So i have an idea about my front license plate...since i didnt go with the fiberglass bumper with the plate insert, i wanted to go something more smoother.....

I going to be putting an Electric Actuator from (Firgelli Auto)...they have very good products, they also have color picture installation sheets, and videos, which makes it look very very easy to install..of course i will need two brackets and a up and down switch that they sell on the website as well..prices are very resonable, but i need to save my hustle money, times are rough, lol, and hopefully get it soon...Dayum cops out here in LA will stop you for everything....so when i see a cop i can hit the down switch and the lisence plate will come down, hit the switch up and should go up, so this should be a cool little mod...stay tuned..

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_inf ... cts_id=129

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor