1978 MALIBU "PROJECT TUMMY TUCK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
jlcustomz said:
Wassup saint, like the spectre filters there, that's the type I,m runnin under my new intake I'm workin on .
Is that a factory hood or something somebody modified? Should be cool fixed up.

Whats up buddy???

Man the filter just make it pop, the guy i bought it from sells them on ebay aswell (p2parts) user id, ck it out....

As for the hood, it came off a 87 buick regal GN, yea its factory, all steal, no fiber glass here, and thats how it came from the factory... :wink:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I also ordered this upper rad hose from http://www.buickgn.com/radiatorpipes.htm, Thanks 1979ratrod for hitting me up on instagram to give me the info on it...

The upper hose i have on the bu know is just not flowing correctly with the spectre air filter, looks like its in the way, and i want it to stand out, so with this upper gn rad hose, it should do the trick... thanks agian, will post pic when installed...might get it chromed, its polished know hope it shines, we will see... :wink:

Attachments

• UpperRadPipe-1.jpg
    UpperRadPipe-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 994

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Dave V said:
Waiting till u get urs to see if it will work on the el....

Im sure it will work , if 1979ratrod is very happy, im sure im going to be a happy camper too :wink: :mrgreen: will keep u updated :D

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
That hood is definitely a good find if it's an 87 GN, I'm sure one of those synthetic rust removing abrasive wheels on a grinder should work wonders on what it looks like now.
Glad to see you getting rid of that universal radiator hose. I recntly dropped my radiator 2" to make room for my underhood cover & used a section of stainless bathroom handrail to splice between my radiator hoses. Sanded & polished it to a mirror finish. Your new pipe looks like aluminum & I know just the product.I thought I tried just about every variation of polish & recently tried white diamond to further shine my new intake hat. Couldn't believe how well it worked. Ended up spending last sunday afternoon polishing the headlights on my 02' sprinter van & then the entire faded chaulky single stage paint job with the stuff.
http://www.whitediamondamerica.com/prod ... lish01.htm

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Jlcustomz: great info on the whitediamond, looks like a real real good product, might try it..

Well today man oh man, mad props to bodyguys, its alot of work, i sanded the hole hood and there was alot alot of bondo!! And tell me about the surface rust, its like little holes in the metal, but i did get my grinder and took ut down to metal around the front portion of the hood, then i bondo it... Trying not to put as much bondo, but i think it needs it...

Like Jlcustomz mentioned, a wire wheel might just do the job, a grinder did to much damage to the rust area and made it all wavey, maybe with a wire brush and a drill i can take my time and get to the metal so that i dont need to use as much bondo..will continue Saturday.. Primered alittle area to see what it would look like lol..

My little one got home and grabed some sand paper and i snapped a pic..might be a car dude??
48E0702B-BBF9-471B-A001-05FE0E7F1C20-1157-000000C90CA0E3F0.jpg

My shoulder hurts and my thumb keeps shaking!! :rofl:
B9C43176-ED44-40E2-A46C-6886937FE66D-1157-000000C912028B2C.jpg

5F82CD79-9FB5-4134-8CD9-FBADBB66B4A4-1157-000000C918D616E7.jpg

Rust holes::!!!
22841EB6-DA49-432D-8FF7-F1F77E9559BF-1157-000000C92566BB96.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
What I was referring to is the fiber type wheels for paint & rust removal,preferably in a 4 1/2" grinder . They are generally black or brown colored. No point in trying to bondo till that rust is gone.Also I never use bondo brand filler. One of evercoats lowest cost fillers is Z-grip, which is a good choice for something like your hood anyways. It has ingredients for extra grip & rust protection. I,d skim the entire hood after getting the worst spots out. One of the first low cost tricks I learned for sanding is to wrap sandpaper around a paint stirring stick, hold it at a slight angle rather than straight,& also crosshatch sand back & forth in opposite directions.

One little thought just occured to me, are you sure the Buick hood can be made to line up with your hood & fascia??

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
jlcustomz said:
What I was referring to is the fiber type wheels for paint & rust removal,preferably in a 4 1/2" grinder . They are generally black or brown colored. No point in trying to bondo till that rust is gone.Also I never use bondo brand filler. One of evercoats lowest cost fillers is Z-grip, which is a good choice for something like your hood anyways. It has ingredients for extra grip & rust protection. I,d skim the entire hood after getting the worst spots out. One of the first low cost tricks I learned for sanding is to wrap sandpaper around a paint stirring stick, hold it at a slight angle rather than straight,& also crosshatch sand back & forth in opposite directions.

One little thought just occured to me, are you sure the Buick hood can be made to line up with your hood & fascia??

Thanks for the great info on the bondo part....

As for the hood matching up, yes it will bolt on just like factory 58"W & 49"L i measured yesterday..lol... the lines on the front fascia will not line up with the lines on the hood...Im going to have my body guy do that...since he needs to grind off the paint on the upper portion of the header panel, smooth it out and form the new lines with fiberglass, to make it look factory...im just prepping the hood, but going to have them look it over form me, since im doin the work myself..

Here a pic i found of a malibu with the hood..

Attachments

• gn hood.jpg
    gn hood.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Yellow81Malibu012.jpg
    Yellow81Malibu012.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,076

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Jlcustomz: great info on the whitediamond, looks like a real real good product, might try it..

Well today man oh man, mad props to bodyguys, its alot of work, i sanded the hole hood and there was alot alot of bondo!! And tell me about the surface rust, its like little holes in the metal, but i did get my grinder and took ut down to metal around the front portion of the hood, then i bondo it... Trying not to put as much bondo, but i think it needs it...

Like Jlcustomz mentioned, a wire wheel might just do the job, a grinder did to much damage to the rust area and made it all wavey, maybe with a wire brush and a drill i can take my time and get to the metal so that i dont need to use as much bondo..will continue Saturday.. Primered alittle area to see what it would look like lol..

My little one got home and grabed some sand paper and i snapped a pic..might be a car dude??
48E0702B-BBF9-471B-A001-05FE0E7F1C20-1157-000000C90CA0E3F0.jpg

My shoulder hurts and my thumb keeps shaking!! :rofl:
B9C43176-ED44-40E2-A46C-6886937FE66D-1157-000000C912028B2C.jpg

5F82CD79-9FB5-4134-8CD9-FBADBB66B4A4-1157-000000C918D616E7.jpg

Rust holes::!!!
22841EB6-DA49-432D-8FF7-F1F77E9559BF-1157-000000C92566BB96.jpg
get a abrasive wheel from harbor frieght and put it on the grinder it wont harm the metal just take away the rust and paint.

chk it out
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half ... 94017.html

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Sweet! thanks Kris, i was going to go to harbor after work too. i will pick one up...all the body work is done, i was up last night till like 11pm sanding and sanding and sanding...everything is smooth, im going to inspect it today when i get home to make sure my bondo is layed out smooth...and use that poly wheel, to take out allllll the rust spots, and hopefully tomorrow primer it, and install once its all dry..primer dries pretty fast so might have on tomorrow afternoon.. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor