1979 century "Ugly Betty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappa_wolf

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2010
I moved to norway, five years ago, due to the more liberal politics, against the owners of american produced cars.
I was born and raised i Denmark, but the politics against carowners there, are horrible, not to mention the taxes.

In norway, I soon got my hands on several am. cars, drove them and sold them, learning all the way, not always in a good way, but I learned. (one thing I learned, was, newer look down the carb, when it is missfiring!) ok, I was young and stupid, now I`m just stupid, hehe

I have had suburban, thunderbird, aspen, different vans... and more.

but my wife, was always there telling me, that we needed a normal car, one that was cheap to drive, roomey enough for the boys, and cabable of towing the caravan, so when the suburban died, I startet the chase for a "normal" daily driver.

shearching the internet, personals and asking friends, and eventually we (she) desided on bying a Honda, and i took the 200 mile drive downthere, and cheked out the car, it was a nice car, roomey, silent, fun to drive, but there was something missing.
I stopped at an nearby gasstation, to chek the fluids on the car, and get some coffee, the owner of the honda squaking in my ear, about how well taken care of, the car was!

I turned him down, and got in the car, with my stepdaughter, (she was driving!) stopping a mile up the road, to put gas on her car, I picked up a local paper, in the shop, just skimming it, when this little ad, caught my eye.

Ugly. rusty. 79 buick for sale
still got MOT, and gas,
spiked tires, and V8
7000,-
call, and a phonenumber.

I thought to my self, can`t be that bad, and called him, he was a nice fellow, with a strange honesty about him, so we went looking at the car.

when we got there, up a bad mountain road, glad it was not in the winter, we got greeted by the biggest Rottweiler, I have ever seen, it looked like a horse, but friendly as few, slobbering all over me, I like dogs, luckily, hehe

the owner told me, that the buick was in bad condition, but it was a runner, with a benchseat in front, and a tired 301 under the hood, I borrowed a battery, and fired it up, started on the second try, he was a bit surprised, since it had been parked for the better part of 2 years, without shelter or any protection.

The drivers door, was rusted at the bottom, so the sheetmetal, was woblering, making it pretty dangerous, for anyone to get near the car, spiked tires, that was severly outdated, and craked in the rubber.
but he told me, that he had new tires, and an 1979 malibu wagon, that he would give me, if I bought the car.
14 seconds later, we had a deal, 14 minutes later, I was at the local tireshop, to get the tires changed.
2 hours later, I was on my way home, in my brand new, well at least to me, brand new car.

ducttape, sealed the broken door, in the trunk, there was an extra door, that he gave me, from an oldsmobile.
and some other parts, that he had laying arround.

I got home, and thought to my self, that my wife, was gonna kill me, well, she got out, shaking her head, calling me a fool, idiot, and other things. but when I told her that the roadtax on the car was, 1/10 of the other car, due to the veteran status of the buick, (In Norway, when a car is older than 30 years, its considered a veteran, and therefor cheaper to own!)
not to mention the insurance on the car, was lower than 50 dollars a year, with full coverage! I LOVE THAT!!!

I took her and my boys for a spin, and she agreed, that for the price, the car was not bad, then I told her about the malibu partscar, and suddenly I was the smartest guy in the world.

HPIM0746.jpg

HPIM0747.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice find. As Warren said, Cool story. Are there many G-body cars floating around in Norway? And how easy is it to find parts
over there?

pappa_wolf

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2010
hi guys, thank`s.

there are many g-bodys overhere, and they are getting more popular, the older they get, parts are easy, for the malibu and olds. but the buick, well, there`s only about 17 in all of scandinavia, so!

my stepdaughter, bought a 82 cutlass, 4 door, with 350/350. but she`s not happy with it, does not go fast enough.
I like her alive, so I`m not helping! hehe She`s got a leadfoot.

"the milage sucks" she said, "go slower" I said, "why?" was the reply, how the h..l do you reply to that??

she`s also got a 1961 pontiac laurentian, that I`m restoring for her.
many hours of velding and cleaning up bad bodywork. hopefully it will be ready for paint, before the end of summer.

The car got its name, from my son, he and I, was watching "Meet the spartans" and he asked me who the girl on the floor was.
I told him that she was "ugly betty", I had to explain what "ugly" ment.

two days later, he told me that the was just as bad looking as ugly betty, so she was ugly betty.
the name stuck! hehe

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like Malibus' are alot more popular over there. Probably alot more of them made than the Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs.
Ugly Betty is a great name for that car...hahaha. It looks pretty rusty, too.

Could you post a picture of the '61 Pontiac Laurentian . Is it a wagon or a sedan? '61 is a nice year for Pontiacs...and other GM cars as well.

Your step daughter sounds like hell on wheels. I saw something on TV recently stating that young women were more reckless behind the wheel than young men. They were also much badder about texting while driving than men. I'm not a bit surprised.

Glad to hear that parts are readily available over there. Are there many junkyards and are they well stocked?

mybigwarwagon

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2009
I would love to find a century wagon to go with my sedan. Nice find. Keep us posted on the work.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You definitely don't see many A/ G-body Century wagons. The last one I saw was in the boneyard several years ago. It had a Regal nose on it. I like the body style.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Cool story!

It's always nice when somebody can be saved from having to be stuck driving a Honda! :lol:

Ugly is a good word to describe it... The '78-'79 Century's are just that...

I had an '81 Century wagon that I just sold to my best friend a month or so ago. I miss it!

pappa_wolf

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2010
well, I have had her for a couple of years now, and slowly she`s being upgraded, she is my joy, (not my pride, just yet! hehe)
but by the end of this month, hopefully she will have another color, and before july the 4th, she will be up and running with new engine and a manual transmission.
unfortunatly, over here, there are no junkyards, with only american cars, just japcrap and eurotrash.
so theres no option other than buying new, when something has to be replaced, or repair/restore/custombuild.
the front looked pretty nice when I bought it, but there`s someone, who had a minor accident, and used a lot of ducttape, to cover it up. the front is shot to sh*t, no headlightbeazel, just 2 pieces of wire, and ducttape.
I found out, when i had to brake for some sh..head, running a red light. both my headlights fell out, just dangling in the wires. :oops:
she has been parked for a couple of months now, due to carb trouble. and the lack of an MOT.
overhere the goverment has to chek that any vehicle, are in working order, and safe enough, to be let out on the road.
once every two years, I have to get an MOT, if not, they wil take the licenceplates, and give me a fine, of 200$
so, I parked the car, in order to fix the carb, and the rust, and all the other stuff, thats wrong.
I rebuilt the carb, using another, from a vauxhal v6, as spareparts.

this year, we had the hardest winter, in 40 years, 2 weeks ago, the snow melted, so I`m busting my butt, to get three months work done in one.

let me fling som pictures at you, taken last year.

gasser1.jpg

gasser2.jpg

gasser3.jpg

gasser4.jpg

gasser5.jpg

gasser6.jpg

the rattlecan paintjob, on the hood, didnt survive the winter, had almost 50$ in that

DSC_0083.jpg

so I had to redo it, again.

DSC_0086.jpg

my new engine, built it this winter.

DSC_0084.jpg

the transmission, got here yesterday.

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

and I got right on cleaning it. took me the better part of a day, to locate the papers on rebuilding a hurst shifer, on the internet, had to go to the source, and find the original buildpatent, on the net. got it, so now, I can put it back together again. and replace a few springplates, more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor