1979 Cutlass & Hurst Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I'm wanting to say early 90's. My Dad was a mechanic at one of the local Sears garages part time until the late 90's, by then Sears mainly sold tires, shocks,and oil changes.
Muzzlers were a great muffler brand (Believe made by Maremont or Arvin) they seemed to last forever even here in New York state.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
Slowly but surely. NOS muffler, stumbled upon a NOS exhaust pipe and local muffler shop made a left tailpipe. My builder has the cross over and down pipe. The only thing left I need is a CAT or measurements of the CAT to make a CAT delete pipe. I need overall length end to end and the length of the housing itself. If anyone can get me those or lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
IMG_20220714_204848.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just to clarify, the 79 H/O and 80 442 used different part numbers for their exhaust. I'm almost certain they'd interchange, but I have NO earthly idea why the change in part numbers. Could be the vendor contracted, or something else. I'm not fluent in these part numbers. It is true they used some or all of the same components on various vehicles. The catalytic converter even changed part numbers. Why? I dunno. Maybe they went to a different kind that didn't need the bead kit? Who knows?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm wanting to say early 90's. My Dad was a mechanic at one of the local Sears garages part time until the late 90's, by then Sears mainly sold tires, shocks,and oil changes.
Muzzlers were a great muffler brand (Believe made by Maremont or Arvin) they seemed to last forever even here in New York state.
I worked @ a Sears @ all positions within the building (83-92). I recall it was Maremont.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Slowly but surely. NOS muffler, stumbled upon a NOS exhaust pipe and local muffler shop made a left tailpipe. My builder has the cross over and down pipe. The only thing left I need is a CAT or measurements of the CAT to make a CAT delete pipe. I need overall length end to end and the length of the housing itself. If anyone can get me those or lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nice job. I would assume the cat would be the same big converter used on anything Olds V8 powered till the early 80's. I know my 81 Delta 88 still used that early style cat, unfortunately hacked off many years ago. Weird on the part change. What year was the cat style switched to the more modern type? What is the pipe diameter?

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
Nice job. I would assume the cat would be the same big converter used on anything Olds V8 powered till the early 80's. I know my 81 Delta 88 still used that early style cat, unfortunately hacked off many years ago. Weird on the part change. What year was the cat style switched to the more modern type? What is the pipe diameter?
2.5 in and out on the CAT pipe diameter of I'm not mistaken. The change was at least '83, which included square flange on both ends. I think.....

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, my 81 was 2.5" as well. I was talking the down pipe and tail pipes, 2.25" and 2"?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure if this will help with trying to find the lenth needed for the cat but p/n for '79 was 8998692. It was used with the L34 (Olds 350), LM1 (SBC 350) & LG4 (SBC 305). Another thing for future reference is the L34 & LM1 used the same complete exhaust from the cat back as with the LG4 with GU2/M20. The LG4 with GH2/GU1 & M29/M33/MV9 used only a different muffler/tailpipe.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor