1979 El Camino Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Just checked out youtube vid. coming along there.
The 11lb poppers are only good for some tiny street rod door or something.I got some 50's like you got to do later, but I'm designing a barely noticeable flush handle at the very top of the door. Make sure you got a cable or some mechanical backup on at least 1 door.

Take your time on the fender flares & they should be ok, metal work usually looks like sh*t in the beginnings.Pulling a piece of wire over the curvature of the metal will help see high & low spots, high spots are worse.A plastic teardrop hammer is great for shaping. I'd use a filler like usc all metal for the first coats on the bodywork to strengthen & help lock moisture out.

Console's lookin nice.

What airbags are you goin with? I'm hoping to order bags & shocks soon, might just go with firestones from ridetech & their new fox built smooth shocks, so much for budget.Was going to get larger airlift bags for more height range, but looks like shocks will limit them anyways, so I might just go with what's proven to handle good. PS, check out my gauges in the chassis section.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'll be watching to see how those flares turn out. I've been toying with the idea of some minor flares on my Malibu as well.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
Just checked out youtube vid. coming along there.
The 11lb poppers are only good for some tiny street rod door or something.I got some 50's like you got to do later, but I'm designing a barely noticeable flush handle at the very top of the door. Make sure you got a cable or some mechanical backup on at least 1 door.

Take your time on the fender flares & they should be ok, metal work usually looks like sh*t in the beginnings.Pulling a piece of wire over the curvature of the metal will help see high & low spots, high spots are worse.A plastic teardrop hammer is great for shaping. I'd use a filler like usc all metal for the first coats on the bodywork to strengthen & help lock moisture out.

Console's lookin nice.

What airbags are you goin with? I'm hoping to order bags & shocks soon, might just go with firestones from ridetech & their new fox built smooth shocks, so much for budget.Was going to get larger airlift bags for more height range, but looks like shocks will limit them anyways, so I might just go with what's proven to handle good. PS, check out my gauges in the chassis section.
thats a cool idea with the stealth handle and yeah im gunna do a cable to one of the doors hidden somewhere just in case.thanks for the tips on the flares i have a teardrop hammer around somewhere. and i have 2600's in the back right now. atleast i think so haha, got them in a kit. but if i could afford ridetech id be all over it. ill deff check out the gauges man. thanks

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
got my remote kit working for my door poppers. if anyone knows how to post a video so they can just watch it on here let me know
[youtube]BVG0DK9xFD4[/youtube]

There you go!!!! looking hella good! :wink:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Like I said, metalwork can look like sh*t in it's beginnings. Your pretty much past that point on your ds extension, best I can see on my HD screen. I'd say now, just check to see that your welds aren't still much fatter than surrounding metal (underside also) & some good bodywork will make it awesome. Thicker spots of metal can show up as shadows in temperature changes, Nice fit for a mig weld on your PS door handles.

Even though I'm ahead of you on experience on metalwork, I enjoy seeing your in progress pics. In progress pics help to keep me inspired for my next projects.Keep it up dude. :blam:

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
Like I said, metalwork can look like sh*t in it's beginnings. Your pretty much past that point on your ds extension, best I can see on my HD screen. I'd say now, just check to see that your welds aren't still much fatter than surrounding metal (underside also) & some good bodywork will make it awesome. Thicker spots of metal can show up as shadows in temperature changes, Nice fit for a mig weld on your PS door handles.

Even though I'm ahead of you on experience on metalwork, I enjoy seeing your in progress pics. In progress pics help to keep me inspired for my next projects.Keep it up dude. :blam:
yeah it needs a ton more work but its coming along and thanks man and i cant wait to see what else you come up with man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor