1979 El Camino with noisy lifters after engine is hot/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I have managed to wiggle the left valve cover off of my 4.3 without removing the brackets or the compressor. It was a REALLY tight fit though. I would start there because if it is a rocker arm out of adjustment you'll save yourself an oil change. Also, make sure enough oil is getting to the valvetrain.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you guys for your help. I ran a test on the oil pump and the pressure is good,does not drop after driving it for 30 minutes or so.Pressure at idle is 20 and 60 when going down the road.I think that eliminates the oil pump being bad.Before I remove the valve cover,I tried a can of mystery oil and than ran it for 45 minutes.It did help some because the lifters are not as noisy as they were before I tried the mystery oil.I am going to drive it some more later on today and see if that helps more.If it quiets the lifters enough as to not be heard loud,I might leave it alone for awhile.if the lifters are not quiet within a week,I will remove the cover and check the rocker arms and see if they need adjustment.If they are out of adjustment,what is the best way to adjust the valve stem clearance and should it be adjusted to about 20 thousands or less?
Mando

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mando & all; That "Quaker State 10w30" you put in has LITTLE ZDDP (Zinc), Not enough to protect your cam & lifters. Possibly some of the additives that you have dumped into it has some?? Also possible that the previous owner didn't understand the fact that around 2005 most of the Zddp was removed from street oil. And ran it with little protection, so I hope that you won't find a damaged lifter. This is just another reason to pull the value covers & adjust the valves. Then you will know for sure what's going on. I'm guessing that you haven't set valves before (?), if ya do it running it makes a Royal mess. But you may already know that. I try to set the valves hot with the engine off, not always possible with hoses & brackets in the way. If ya need help, just ask,Ol'e Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
I will be taking the valve cover off later this week to see how the valves look as far as the adjustments.I will post again after I get in there.Thanks.
Mando

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would check oil level and pressure first. If good, pull rocker covers and check for loose rockers. If loose get new nuts and adjust properly. Also check oil returns on each end of heads to make sure they are open and allowing oil to return to pan.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for your info.I will keep that in mind when I remove the valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor