1979 GMC Caballero Diablo

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979GMCDi@blo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2020
Nice camino like that I would leave exterior and interior alone and just build a nice drivable/enjoyable drivetrain

Thanks, I absolutely love those Malibu. My Parents had a Malibu when I was young, and i was obsessed with it. I remember walking down the street in my teens and saw what I initially though was my favorite car (pretty common). I got a little closer and realized the car had a box, it was called Diablo and it changed my life. 30 years later I saw one again and bought it. (ok, ive seen a few "Maybe diablo's" but only twice with the full decal kit.) Long story long, where does one get the extra little bit on the front valence?

Use it as is while saving alot of $$$$ . You’ll get tired of all the 70s flaws . Lack of power, lousy brakes, suspension, steering. A nice set of 15 to 17 inch wheels and tires will make a big improvement. IMO I’d rather leave the stock hood than go with a WAY TO COMMIN cowl hood. If you plan on keeping it for a while, drive it and tackle one phase at a time. I found a 79 with 77,000 rust free miles 3 years ago and have changed just about EVERYTHING. Make it what you enjoy.

Wow, It took me far too long to realize they were the same car. Great work!

I hear ya, first thing i thought was Cragar style rims and wide rear tires immediately if not sooner, buy after cleaning up the original rims and new tires I feel sick just thinking about changing them. I also hated the color when i bought it, but now I love it and would never change it. This car is making me act weird.

What do you mean by a monster interior?

Monster the drink??

I added some punctuation because....... English and all.

You mentioned kilometers...are you in Canada? There is a service...can't recall the name right now. When I had them check into my 79 El Camino Royal Knight...I found that it was 1 of 246 Royal Knights imported into Canada for 79.

I am in Canada. If you could remember the name of the service, i would love to get that info about my Ca...... Tru........ whatever. I read somewhere (not sure if its true) that only 1% of caballeros in 1979 were "ordered" with the Diablo trim package, as for how many were produced at launch, I have no idea. I don't think there are many around, one guy is quoted as saying only 60 or so diablos a year. Seems crazy but maybe.

1979GMCDi@blo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2020
Is the exterior photo of the actual vehicle that you have? If so, it looks great! I agree with others here, that you really shouldn't change anything-to me, it would be a sin to alter something that looks that nice. Maybe some bigger wheels and tires (but not too big), and drive it. I'm sure that there will be some people out there who have never seen that particular model (or maybe never even heard of one).

I am still in shock, but with a little cleaning, wax and hours of polishing shiny stuff that is the actual car! Ill post some more pictures of my mild progress and what needs to be addressed sooner than later.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I am in Canada. If you could remember the name of the service, i would love to get that info about my Ca...... Tru........ whatever. I read somewhere (not sure if its true) that only 1% of caballeros in 1979 were "ordered" with the Diablo trim package, as for how many were produced at launch, I have no idea. I don't think there are many around, one guy is quoted as saying only 60 or so diablos a year. Seems crazy but maybe.

I believe it was something like...GM Vintage Vehicle Services. Maybe try googling it. I'm not at home until later tonight. I can have a look for my paperwork if you can't find anything sooner.

Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just out of curiousity, what part of Canada are you in? Yes, its called Vintage Vehicle Services. They're out of Oshawa Ontario. As long as you have a GM vehicle that was originally sold in Canada, they can give you information about where & when it was built, the original shipping dealer, original options on the vehicle, etc. I had them do one of their packages for my 1980 4 speed Malibu. Its good to have the documentation for these vehicles.

Reactions: 4 users

1979GMCDi@blo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2020
Cosmetically, I'm totally on board with leaving it the way it is for sure. From 10 feet away this car is awesome, but the closer you get the more the age shows.

Though the entire car is solid and 99% rust free, there are 4 spots with surface rust and peeled paint. The Decals have seen some sunny days and are cracked with a few blemishes. ( Carefully hand buffing the decals with GelCoat marine wax really brought them back from the dead.)

Short of a complete frame off restoration, how would you all deal with this? My initial reaction was a full paint job with OEM (or as close as you can get) decals from Phoenix Graphics, Is that the right call or can it be fixed any other way?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I would see if there's a bodyshop that would be willing to try to repair those areas, and blend new paint on the repaired areas into the existing original paint. As for the cracked decal on the hood, as long as you can maintain it in its current condition, I'd leave it alone.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor