airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Rare car for sure. I would leave exterior alone and put a fun motor in it

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
On the radio I left my mint original one in, added speakers, an amp and blue tooth

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’d get rid of those rust causing bed trim bars. Fix the rust for now. That will give you time to do the other improvements and to decide just how far YOU want to go

Reactions: 1 users

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
I purchased a one owner 1980 Caballero several years ago. I assumed it was equiped with a 305 but was surprised when I swapped the engine for a 355 that the original engine was a 267. They look the same but the 267 isn't worth rebuilding.

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Hey there Diablo> I agree with most of the rest of the guys here. You have a Nice example of a cool truck/car etc. I would spend some time and $$$ on the paint flaws. A good quality shop can treat the surface rust and spray the quarter panels with blending before the doors and it should look great. I would look into the hood decal if it really bothers you although the term Patina comes to mind. As for the drive train I would build a 355 you can make 400+ HP with 400LBft torque with the right cam and heads, and couple it with a 2004R . You then run a 3.42 to 3.55 rear gearset and still highway cruise at under 2000RPM. I am building that motor as we speak. What ever you decide "Enjoy Your Ride !! "
Doc

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have that radio, ready to go back into the car. 30 years ago, I used to have that amp as well! Get on that rust before it gets worse.

Reactions: 3 users

1979GMCDi@blo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2020
I’d get rid of those rust causing bed trim bars. Fix the rust for now. That will give you time to do the other improvements and to decide just how far YOU want to go

They Definitely have to come off for the repair but I don't think i could ever remove them permanently.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1979GMCDi@blo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2020
As for the Engine. I'm thinking about a budget 350, painted GM Blue, original looking as possible.

Nothing too crazy, 1996-1999 GMC 5.7 Vortec, Rebuild original th350, aftermarket Crossmember, Headers and dual exhaust.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor