1979 Malibu electric antenna escutcheon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatx4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2013
Canoga Park, California
Hello, I have a question regarding the optional electric antenna, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the electrical forum or body and trim so please feel free to move this if and as necessary.

Several years a go I decided I wanted to repair or replace the original broken electric antenna. I don't recall the reason for the failure however decided to replace it with an aftermarket Metra gear driven mast. I have not had any issues till this day with the antenna with the exception of I now miss the sleek styling of the OEM antenna. The escutcheon, pointed tip mast and antenna nut, it just fit and looked like it belonged unlike this universal antenna nut and bezel that leaves an ugly gap on the fender and a 3/4" or so black plastic bump in the fender.

I have somewhere a Delco electric antenna form a Caprice I believe found in a junkyard, however have never found a Malibu or El Camino with an electric antenna, let alone a 78- 83 Malibu or El Camino in forever in the junkyard and the ones (rare occasion) I did, didn't have an electric antenna or had a windshield antenna because there was no fender hole. Does a 78 to 83 Monte Carlo have the same top fender angle as a Malibu or El Camino? I know the Monte Carlo fender has that distinctive styling line in it. I found a Monte Carlo antenna escutcheon but never bought it because I wasn't sure if it would fit the Malibu fender or not

I have 2 style antenna nuts, flat chrome top with slots for a spanner wrench, and a round chrome top again with slots (or holes) for the wrench both have a black plastic insulator inside the center of the nut. Does anyone know which style was correct for a 79 A body Malibu? Also does anyone have an antenna, or more importantly an escutcheon they would like to part with?

Thank you,
-Scott

Pretty sure Monte and Malibu antennas are the same.
Im in a similar situation regarding an antenna. The previous owner of my 81 mounted an antenna on the top of the right quarter panel. WHY ??
It looks terrible. I dont want to have the hole welded up since the paint on the car is perfect. Ive been thinking about using a power antenna from a Lincoln. Small escutcheon. Either that or having a dummy antenna escutcheon made from stainless.

Thank you for the response, I agree that antennas are the same most likely. Would you happen to know if the top of the fender where the antenna hole is is the same for the Monte Carlo, El Camino, and Malibu? The El Camino and Malibu I'd say share the same fenders it's the Monte Carlo I'm not sure about.

On another note, I'm sorry to hear about the previous owner destroying the quarter panel, It makes no sense at all to put the antenna there, Did your car have an electric antenna, or at least a stick antenna in the fender originally, or was it a windshield antenna? If the former I don't see why they would even drill another hole in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor