1979 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
I am new to the site, but I am sure I will be here alot. I am in the process of a frame off resto, and I am sure I will need all the advice I can get along the way. Me and my lovely wife will be doing all the work with the exception of the interior. We will send it out. Now for My first question. What g-body (posi) rearend will bolt up to my car. I would like to have disk brake, but will convert if needed.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
COOL!! Welcome man!! I think there is another guy (83Monte) whose brother is doing a frame off on a 'bu. Good luck!!

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
Thank you

383Camino said:
COOL!! Welcome man!! I think there is another guy (83Monte) whose brother is doing a frame off on a 'bu. Good luck!!

I have been talking with 83monte about his resto. That is a sweet "BU" he is restoring. I can only hope mine weill be as nice. I will post pics soon too.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Sorry. I hate it when they are called 'bu's too!!

Malibu* :wink:

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
lol

383Camino said:
Sorry. I hate it when they are called 'bu's too!!

Malibu* :wink:

Actually, I dont mind it. I didnt mean anything by the post. I actually call it my "BU" most of the time. Dont sweat it

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
How far along are you on the restoration? I am doing an 81 Monte Carlo Frame off with an LS1 and 6spd. I am almost done stripping it all down. The Body is off the frame. Going to media blast in the next few weeks hopefully.

To answer your question on rear ends. 1) I am 99% sure that no G-Bodys came with disc brakes in the rear. You would have to either go aftermarket (lots of options available) or you might be able to use the rear disk set-up off a 2nd gen trans am. I think the WS6 cars came with discs in the late 70's, I have no idea if they are easy to find. 2) As far as posi rear ends, G-Bodys had 2 types available 7.5 inch 10 bolts which were available in the Monte SS and 8.5 inch 10 bolt (which are a lot stronger) which were available in the Turbo Regals. I think the Cutlass and Grand Prix all had 7.5, but I am not sure. I think Monte SS came with a 3.73 gear and turbo Regals a 3.40 ish gear.

Depending on your budget you can go aftermarket, a variety of companies offer bolt in Dana 60s, 12-Bolts and 9-inch's.

Last time I saw a G-Body 8.5 in the local paper the guy wanted $800. If you want to change the gear ratio, replace seals and bearings and pay a good shop to set it up, you will end up dropping another $500-$800. You can get one of the aftermarket rears for between $1800 and $2500.

I ended up going with a Strange Dana 60 with Baer Brakes.

Good Luck, if you have any questions as your disassembling PM me.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
jerrycad472 said:
How far along are you on the restoration? I am doing an 81 Monte Carlo Frame off with an LS1 and 6spd. I am almost done stripping it all down. The Body is off the frame. Going to media blast in the next few weeks hopefully.

To answer your question on rear ends. 1) I am 99% sure that no G-Bodys came with disc brakes in the rear. You would have to either go aftermarket (lots of options available) or you might be able to use the rear disk set-up off a 2nd gen trans am. I think the WS6 cars came with discs in the late 70's, I have no idea if they are easy to find. 2) As far as posi rear ends, G-Bodys had 2 types available 7.5 inch 10 bolts which were available in the Monte SS and 8.5 inch 10 bolt (which are a lot stronger) which were available in the Turbo Regals. I think the Cutlass and Grand Prix all had 7.5, but I am not sure. I think Monte SS came with a 3.73 gear and turbo Regals a 3.40 ish gear.

Depending on your budget you can go aftermarket, a variety of companies offer bolt in Dana 60s, 12-Bolts and 9-inch's.

Last time I saw a G-Body 8.5 in the local paper the guy wanted $800. If you want to change the gear ratio, replace seals and bearings and pay a good shop to set it up, you will end up dropping another $500-$800. You can get one of the aftermarket rears for between $1800 and $2500.

I ended up going with a Strange Dana 60 with Baer Brakes.

Good Luck, if you have any questions as your disassembling PM me.

Thank you very much for the info. I am sure we will be talking alot through this process. I am actually just starting the whole thing. I found out with the last restoration I did ( 1969 chevelle 402 4speed) that it works better for me to plan as much as I can before I begin. I am still trying to figure out what engine combo I want to use. Since the car will be shown more than driven and used for cruise nights, I was thinking about a 350, twin turbo setup. You dont see very many of them around here and I think it is a judge attention getter. Plus it will be fast as hell. lol. I was wanting the rearend info because I wanted to just rebuild one myself ant try not to have to buy one from an aftermarket company. This will sound stupid, but it wont be original GM. And I want to try and keep as much GM as possible. I know what your thinking " GM DOESNT HAVE A TWIN TURBO SETUP ON THERE SMALL BLOCKS". This is why I havent setteled on anything yet. I just want a nice frame off that will wow the judges and everyone else, be streetable for cruise nights, and be; well a bad a#@ G-BODY. After all, thats what its all about. Thanks for your time and I hope to talk soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor