Many interior questions 1979 Malibu

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
is this an original interior, if so what’s the trim colors and in the last pic where I have circled it’s very very brittle and falling apart from sun exposure, where can I get new tan pieces?? It’s the part that goes up the pillar

Attachments

• IMG_1384.png
    IMG_1384.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not the correct pattern for 79

The B pillars are reproduced as a compromise between the 2 different non-Lamdau versions. but no personal experience with them. Based on the repro package tray ends, I wouldn't expect them to be great. YMMV

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One good thing to help out in the search is your interior color, listed as blue for '79 but is light blue code 24, was also used in '78 which gives more range on the search. Now outside of the lanau cars, LeMans/Grand Ams could supply them but try finding them. Now there is a possiblilty they are shared with other coupes but I don't have my info handy on that interchange, but I do believe that are also used by the Monte carlo too. You don't have to find the exact color if you find a good set as they can be recolored using SEM, PPG or another supplier who can mix interior paint/dye that will be a close match. Even originals my not match your interior due to several factors. Another factor on going with finding a good non matching set is certain colors faired better over ther years than others. If you are willing to recolor, here's PPG's color code that can be used in cross referencing & it'll be 14782 & it'll mix as a semi-gloss. Make sure you get the P sheet/full instructions & list of needed supplies.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
To further expand on the B pillar trim....some of the various makes/models of G bodies have a different angle on the back of the door glass, which means that the pillar behind the glass is a little different on those cars, This results in a different inner pillar molding, The "wrong" ones will go in, but do not lay flat all the way up the pillar like they should. There will be a bulge when screwed down.

As to the "L" shaped pieces, I'm afraid it's going to be Malibu only, as the Pontiacs lower belt line area rises as it goes back towards the C pillar. Those pieces are reproduced, but the little I've seen on them has said the quality is not great

As far as finding used pieces, I wouldn't worry about color, they can be redone with SEM to correct the color. If you find a decent set, buy them. Best results on interior parts seems to be extreme northern US states and Canada. Here in the southwest, forget about it.

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
It looks like Dixie Restoration has “B” pillar trim for the ’79 Malibu. In medium light blue.

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
One good thing to help out in the search is your interior color, listed as blue for '79 but is light blue code 24, was also used in '78 which gives more range on the search. Now outside of the lanau cars, LeMans/Grand Ams could supply them but try finding them. Now there is a possiblilty they are shared with other coupes but I don't have my info handy on that interchange, but I do believe that are also used by the Monte carlo too. You don't have to find the exact color if you find a good set as they can be recolored using SEM, PPG or another supplier who can mix interior paint/dye that will be a close match. Even originals my not match your interior due to several factors. Another factor on going with finding a good non matching set is certain colors faired better over ther years than others. If you are willing to recolor, here's PPG's color code that can be used in cross referencing & it'll be 14782 & it'll mix as a semi-gloss. Make sure you get the P sheet/full instructions & list of needed supplies.
Thank you and good point. The interior is aged so it might not match exactly

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
One good thing to help out in the search is your interior color, listed as blue for '79 but is light blue code 24, was also used in '78 which gives more range on the search. Now outside of the lanau cars, LeMans/Grand Ams could supply them but try finding them. Now there is a possiblilty they are shared with other coupes but I don't have my info handy on that interchange, but I do believe that are also used by the Monte carlo too. You don't have to find the exact color if you find a good set as they can be recolored using SEM, PPG or another supplier who can mix interior paint/dye that will be a close match. Even originals may not match your interior due to several factors. Another factor on going with finding a good non matching set is certain colors faired better over ther years than others. If you are willing to recolor, here's PPG's color code that can be used in cross referencing & it'll be 14782 & it'll mix as a semi-gloss. Make sure you get the P sheet/full instructions & list of needed supplies.
So landau trim won’t fit for me? My car is not a landau

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So landau trim won’t fit for me? My car is not a landau
I can not personally answer that as I have never ran into a landau Malibu. I would think they should interchange but not seen one in the wild or having a p/n of a B pillar trim from one to cross I don't want to pass bad info.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I'll concur with Ribbedroof. I used a salvage yard out of Minnesota for lamp assemblies and interior parts. Here in Southwest everything is sun damaged. Restorations might have no rust but no plastics or seat fabric either.

Also don't forget the OEM Brochures.

Screenshot_20240116-201918.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240116-201828.png
    Screenshot_20240116-201828.png
    920.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240116-201847.png
    Screenshot_20240116-201847.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor