1979 Olds Cutlass Calais questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
I can assume then, you have the Carmine red lochland velour interior with the reclining bucket seats. It was about 3 years before I found out my bucket seats reclined, always wondered what that button did!

My 79 Calais was pretty basic when I bought it from the original owner back in 1984. Since I've owned it I've made these upgrades: pulse wipers, analog clock, wastepaper basket, 200r4 transmission, 3:08 posi rear axle, AM/FM Stereo Cassette, Corporate (Delco) CB add on unit, tilt steering wheel column, power trunk release. I was thinking about installing a front fender power antenna but after the problems I've been having with the one(s) I've installed in my 79 Hurst Olds, fuggedaboudit. I'll settle for the Tune Trapper antenna I have hidden in the A pillar which replaces the window glass antenna

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Left Lane, Are you bringing your 79 H/O to the New England show today, I's sure like to see it. I'll have my 79 Blue Calais, be sure to stop by. I will be show only, this car has already won a first at that show some years ago, so once that happens I retire it from judging.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
As I've posted about before, my first car in 1984 was a 79 Calais w T-tops, and earlier this year I bought another with the intention of making it what I always wanted the original to be. While I'm waiting my turn for parts and my mechanic's time, I'm just curious if any of the knowledgeable historians here know something I don't. The vast majority of 79 Cutlasses I have ever seen had the side stripes, however BOTH of my Calais cars did not. My first one was brown and had a camel 1/2 vinyl top and side moldings, but no stripes. My latest is dark carmine metallic, and has neither a vinyl top or side moldings, and no stripes. Were stripes and molding std, and "stripe delete" and "molding delete" chosen on my current car, or were stripes and molding options in 1979 that apparently 99% of all Cutlasses came with?
My 79 came with them

Attachments

• 20190910_144354.jpg
    20190910_144354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
My '79 Supreme Brougham came with lower stainless, body side mouldings,which includes behind the rear wheel, and painted stripes. Not sure if it was standard or an option. The picture is from the late '80's in it's original state.

Attachments

• 100_0438.jpg
    100_0438.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 108

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Reviving this thread to ask another question. Does anyone know if in 79 all Cutlasses came with wiring for available options?

To provide some context, my 79 Calais had rear defrost and "digital" clock in the top center dash panel. I didn't care for the rolling white digit clock, so I found an analog clock to swap out. When I removed the digital clock, I found the mounting tabs on top right and bottom left had been cut off, so the clock was just plugged into the electric fitting in the back, but not attached to the dash frame. The replacement clock had the tabs on it. I tried affixing the tabs to the colored vinyl slats that the spring clips go thru, but the clock stuck out too far and the bezel wouldn't fit properly. On close inspection, I could see there are mounting holes for the clock tabs in the black plastic dash frame. I had to trim back some of the colored vinyl slats to get the new clock behind those slats where I could attach the replacement clock. Given this, I am thinking the car did not originally come with the clock, but the wire plug inside the dash certainly looks like it was there from the factory.

The good news is the analog clock fits perfectly now, and looks much better IMO. I installed cool white LED bulbs, which are much brighter and vivid white.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I believe the Calais did. also the bezel would not have the cut out for the clock if it was an option

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I believe the Calais did. also the bezel would not have the cut out for the clock if it was an option
Yep, I assume the original owner may have added the "digital" clock and the right bezel for it later. I am told orig owner was an Olds factory rep, so I assume he could get those things easily. I was just surprised to see the clock had the mounting tabs cut off and just stuck in there, certainly makes it appear it wasn't factory original.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
did your old one light up
I honestly don't recall. I only drove the car to and from work during summer months a few times, so didn't drive it in the dark. I came across a good blank center bezel with the Olds rocket logo, so I pulled the clock and disconnected the rear defrost to install that bezel last summer. Later I saw the analog clock and figured out it was a direct swap, so got that and put the defrost and clock bezel back on. The "original" "digital" clock does have the twist on light bulb fitting in the back.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor