1979 Pontiac Lemans Safari build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
19cutlass79 said:
Took her out for a spin today idled her around the block one way then the other to get the fluid in the rear sloshed around good to the new axle bearings, the car steering doesn't pull but feels a little squirly at low speeds I am going to take her in for an alignment just to have everything squared, coming up a long street near my house I decide to get on it it stumbles in first carb needs a rebuid I think and fresh gas, I mashed it rolling at 15mph after the stumble she just screams, I let her upshift to thrid get off the gas and smash it again to see how the downshift and the secondaries are working and it works good, it chirps on the down pulls hard then BAM! something let's loose and I hear something bounce off the undercarriage and road then I get a little vibe in the drivetrain and a little sick as I limp her around two corners to get to my house put her in park check the trans and oil fluid all good jack up the front take the tires off check all the new suspension parts, good, jump back in the car start her up fine, run through the gears in the garage trans engages fine, shut it off start swearing in my head only thing left is the rear end. Jack it up on stands , turn the wheels by hands no clunking sounds or broke sound, just to be sure I pull on the axle to see if the c clip went, nope, so I get under it look at the rear yoke and thank the powers that be, I blew a u joint cap which is weird checked the torque on the bolts still good, so I think that joint straps maybe stretched out so I bought new joint and straps, I will try it again tomorow, that concludes this edition of ratty wagon chronicles.

Wade
=======================================================================================================
Wade,
It's a good feeling when you're able to get the car run motoring under it's own power. They'll always be bugs that have to be worked out, but geez, you made a heck alot of progress on the car.
As for the u-joint, it's a good thing you weren't too far from home, and that you didn't totally drop the driveshaft.

Keep up the good work.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Some goodies for the ratty wagon :twisted:

Wade
IMG_20110614_183743.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You'll be happy with those shocks.

I just put a set on my buddys GN a couple weeks ago, and they feel great.
I've had a set on my '96 Caprice for about 5 or 6 years now, and liked them so much that I plan on getting them for my 442 and wagon too.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I wonder if a company like Bilstein makes them for Edelbrock. I've always heard good things about those shocks. However, I've had good luck with KYB's over the years.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Only had a sec to glance over your build, looks great so far. My car is lowered so I used Hedman "intermediate headers" that end near the oil pan. They work great. I run a 3" 2 into 1 single exhaust. Check my build thread in my sig for a photo of the headers. The part number was for my 73 Nova but I used them on the wagon instead, the fit fine in the g-body frame.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
SRD art said:
Only had a sec to glance over your build, looks great so far. My car is lowered so I used Hedman "intermediate headers" that end near the oil pan. They work great. I run a 3" 2 into 1 single exhaust. Check my build thread in my sig for a photo of the headers. The part number was for my 73 Nova but I used them on the wagon instead, the fit fine in the g-body frame.

Man I need to really keep up with my thread.....I would if I actually touched her at all over the summer :shock: Thanks for the heads up for the headers, only prob is that they won't fit on my poncho 350. Been messing with my other daily/project driver I picked up from my cousin its bmw 535i 5 speed, clutch going to have to get changed soon, and it needs new shocks, body work on the passenger side door (quarter size hole near the mirror) so now my funds are getting spread thinner so that means everything went down to a crawl. No worries though it'll get done sooner or later :twisted: probably later haha!

vincent

n00b
May 4, 2013
Hallo Sir, `ve been looking for a long time for headers which increase hp and fit to my car. But its though to find them. Maybe you can help me.
Pontiac Grand Lemans 1979 sedan, automatic, 301cu. in. engine. Any suggests are welcome.

Or you can tell me the Parameters and i will continue searching.

Primary Tube Diameter: ?
Collector Attachment: ?
Collector Diameter: ?
Cylinder Head Port Shape: ?
Primary Tube Length (in): ?
Primary Tube Gauge: ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards from Switzerland
Zafiroski

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi Vincent in Switzerland. I passed through Zurich in 1975, very nice. Just a heads up, you won't get much response tagging a question to someone else's topic. It's best to start your own, with a title that will attract Pontiac guys. As for the headers I don't think they are made at all anymore, but some claim that Firebird headers fit with some work. Even when theses cars were new they did not interest hot rodder types. Plus, the 301 is not known for performance, but I love them anyway. So go ahead and post your question and hopefully someone may know more about it than me. Here is a link for a great site that is all about the 301.http://www.301garage.com/forum/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor