BUILD THREAD 1980 Grand Prix Restoration

Jimmy bigg time

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2017
Midwest
So I’m currently under restoration in the long form of my 1980 Grand Prix. I had my Local restoration shop do some minor turned into major repairs but what other kind of repairs are there other than major repairs on a 43 year old car that hasn’t been driven in 20+ years. Now why I’m waiting on time while I try to save money to do the remaining project, I am currently taking the challenge on of repainting interior trim while the headliner is on order. This painting of the trim is a challenge, the color of my trim interior & seats are almost a dark purple. The interior panel in the backseat has color numbers of the interior colors of GP’s blue, green a few others & then mine which I believe is listed as ”DK Carmine”. The color is a tough pull, red are notorious for being tough to match & this is no exception. I have tried SEM colors burgundy & few others red & they are not even close. I did a 2 can spray with brown & red and it was close But I can’t keep it consistent so that method is out. I am trying not to paint my dash, so I am being particularly specific about color, I am now on to a color match vinyl paint and thinking of going to the Vinyl Pro system. Any thoughts of anyone who has used the Vinyl Pro paint match? I am planning on sending in a sample from a small piece that hasn’t been exposed to sunlight so it shouldn’t be faded & hopefully they can match. I will keep everyone posted on the build & would love to answer any questions about my build and my GP. I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

“Perfection is a blessing and a curse”

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So I’m currently under restoration in the long form of my 1980 Grand Prix. I had my Local restoration shop do some minor turned into major repairs but what other kind of repairs are there other than major repairs on a 43 year old car that hasn’t been driven in 20+ years. Now why I’m waiting on time while I try to save money to do the remaining project, I am currently taking the challenge on of repainting interior trim while the headliner is on order. This painting of the trim is a challenge, the color of my trim interior & seats are almost a dark purple. The interior panel in the backseat has color numbers of the interior colors of GP’s blue, green a few others & then mine which I believe is listed as ”DK Carmine”. The color is a tough pull, red are notorious for being tough to match & this is no exception. I have tried SEM colors burgundy & few others red & they are not even close. I did a 2 can spray with brown & red and it was close But I can’t keep it consistent so that method is out. I am trying not to paint my dash, so I am being particularly specific about color, I am now on to a color match vinyl paint and thinking of going to the Vinyl Pro system. Any thoughts of anyone who has used the Vinyl Pro paint match? I am planning on sending in a sample from a small piece that hasn’t been exposed to sunlight so it shouldn’t be faded & hopefully they can match. I will keep everyone posted on the build & would love to answer any questions about my build and my GP. I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

“Perfection is a blessing and a curse”
What is the original color & are you trying to get everything to match it? If you can post the interior color code off the Fisher cowl plate I could post PPG numbers that could be used for cross refernce or just look into their One Choice line or even SEM.

Reactions: 2 users

Jimmy bigg time

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2017
Midwest
What is the original color & are you trying to get everything to match it? If you can post the interior color code off the Fisher cowl plate I could post PPG numbers that could be used for cross refernce or just look into their One Choice line or even SEM.
2B45274E-FCE6-4575-8845-2B3EE655EDF4.jpeg

Attachments

• 31F4CBC5-1D68-4F03-B56F-8C0E1E93DC6F.jpeg
    31F4CBC5-1D68-4F03-B56F-8C0E1E93DC6F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41

Jimmy bigg time

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2017
Midwest
The color is Dk Carmine I believe. The interior trim panel had some stamped names of colors I assume the Dk Carmine is my car interior color.
AD3DD086-98F2-42CA-9BD0-4D3993BE433A.jpeg

PPG's codes are 50994 for semi gloss, 50996 for low gloss.This is a '80 only interior color so the '85-'88 color is a different hue with out as much purple tint to it.
So now we have the color, I need to get in spray can. Should I just talk to SEM & see if they can help get that color mixed or ?? I appreciate the help on the color, I’m trying to get it back in order but this color matching is important.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
View attachment 229409

So now we have the color, I need to get in spray can. Should I just talk to SEM & see if they can help get that color mixed or ?? I appreciate the help on the color, I’m trying to get it back in order but this color matching is important.
One thing to keep in mind is there will never be a 100% match unless everything is recolored. Even from the factory colors were off depending on it being cloth, vinyl, plastic & painted surfaces when new. Then add age & climate conditions that will alter shades. In my boy's '79 the camel tan is mulitiple shades on the front seats alone. Even the recoloring will not all match. The nice thing is to most people won't really notice, nit pickers will always see something. Best to clean everything up & make an assesment to see what is still good, what can be recolored, then what really needs to be replaced with something already the code 79 shade.

Reactions: 2 users

Jimmy bigg time

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2017
Midwest
One thing to keep in mind is there will never be a 100% match unless everything is recolored. Even from the factory colors were off depending on it being cloth, vinyl, plastic & painted surfaces when new. Then add age & climate conditions that will alter shades. In my boy's '79 the camel tan is mulitiple shades on the front seats alone. Even the recoloring will not all match. The nice thing is to most people won't really notice, nit pickers will always see something. Best to clean everything up & make an assesment to see what is still good, what can be recolored, then what really needs to be replaced with something already the code 79 shade.
Ya, Im not looking for an exact match because I know age darkens the trims and everything changes over time. I just have some new pillars that replaced due to condition and a few other pieces I would like to freshen up. I just want to get something close. So who can I get to put the ppg color in a spray can?

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
The color is Dk Carmine I believe. The interior trim panel had some stamped names of colors I assume the Dk Carmine is my car interior color.
Your best bet is Gbody parts or Dixie restoration, the two places i know of making 100% Factory correct, buy in a Rattle can / Pint of correct paint.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor