1980 Malibu "Fun Car"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Did you notice if the mouldings snap down all the way? Was the windshield replaced recently? Just trying to figure out what would cause the trim to fly off the car.

I guess broken clips could be the likely suspect here. I don't have any suggestions about the weatherstripping. I know the coupe seals are different than the wagon or 4-dr., being that the coupe doesn't have a window frame like the sedan or wagon...more like a hardtop. I would assume that it takes some time to seat in.
Which brand did you use?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ah, so you used Sof-seal. I heard that Sof-seal isn't quite as soft, or pliable as Metro. I bought Metro seals according to a number of recommendations. My friend, for one, bought a Sof-Seal seal trunk seal for his '77 Cutlass Salon. He said it never really broke in, and he tossed it and bought a Metro seal which he was satisfied with.
I hate to badmouth products, but it seems like the general consensus on this product brand.
I would give it a chance to see what happens.

1980Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2013
That very well could be....i just ordered these cause i already had an order going. Maybe I shoulda done some more research.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I wouldn't give up. Let the seal get worked-in for awhile and see what happens. I'm sure they're all a bit firm when they're first installed. I haven't installed my door seals yet...hopefully soon.

MadMax87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2013
Wisconsin
Just curious how the Sofseals were working for you, looking at buying a set myself. Still pretty stiff after a few months?

1980Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2013
The sofseals seam to work OK...They are still pretty stiff but they seem to be getting better.

1980Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2013
Well after a long winter, finally getting some more work done on the car. Installed an Edelbrock Performer intake with a 4 barrel quadrajet. Seems to feed the lumpy cam I threw in a little better. Now I just gotta figure out why it puked transmission fluid all over the garage floor :puke: . Thinking a new transmission pan gasket and filter are the project for this weekend...Hopefully i can add some pics of the new intake tonight.

1980Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2013
So I feel like a complete dummy.....I was tinkering on the car on Saturday and was determined to get the power windows to work better with the new weatherstripping. Turns out I installed the softseals backwards. I had the passenger side one on the driver side and vice versa :blam: Now they work much better! Still a little slow when they get to the top but I can live with that. I can't believe how much quieter they are going down the road now...much less wind noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor