1980 Pontiac LeMans Misc Parts Interchangable with....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickson856

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2012
So after driving my LeMans around for a few years with the original small 3.8 229 I've recently crammed a 400 v8 into it from a 69 Pontiac Catalina. Seeing as how it'll be back on the road soon I figured I'd take whatever leftover money I've got and put it into the appearance aspect of the vehicle. A couple things I've been looking for are the front bumper cover, rear bumper cover and the dashboard. The front and rear bumper covers I've got are looking pretty beat up, they're missing the trim that goes around them, the rear one had split and someone filled it with some black gunk that looks like ish, the front has become pitted and sad looking. I'd be find with swapping these out with steel bumper or a front clip from another car but I don't know what car it's compatible with so I was hoping someone could shed some light. In addition with the dashboard, I wouldn't care about swapping it out with a different model if someone know which kind it's compatible with.
So in short;
1980 Pontiac LeMans
front bumper cover- okay with steel bumper swap, which car is compatible??
rear bumper cover - okay with steel bumper swap, which car is compatible??
dashboard - can't find a replacement online, can I swap it with a malibu or olds cutlass? anyone knoww?

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Hickson856,
The only facia (bumper cover) that is a bolt on replacement for the Lemans facia would be the even rarer pontiac Grand Am. If you want to replace the entire front clip, the Malibu/El Camino clip will match up with the lemans doors. If you want to replace the Pontiac dash with another G-body dash, it can be done (just get the wire harness and HVAC duct work from the donor vehicle)
As far as your Lemans stock front and rear facias, The front one (if it has no rips in it) can be repaired and repainted. The rear facia was used on both the Lemans and the Grand ams and are SLIGHTLY easier to find used. The chrome bumper trim (the 1 1/4 inch wide horizontal trim?) is no longer available. Some people use the Chevy Silverado flexible side mouldings as a replacement.
Maybe "Grandaman" can jump in here. He's probably forgotten more about these parts then I'll ever know! :rofl:

Doug

Oh, I almost forgot! Welcome to the site!

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
If you swap a Malibu/camino/wagon clip the wheel wells won't match,lemans/GA wheel wells are round & flared a little more,malibu/camino are squared off at the top,you can find both bumper covers if you put the time in, you could also put a bonneville nose all the way to 1986 I believe, that would be pretty cool,since they never made a 2 door bonneville in a Gbody.
Good luck

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
IIRC, the Grand prix is on the G-body platform and the Bonneville is on the B-body platform (the full sized Caprice,,,Roadmaster platform). When I buy a front clip it comes as a assembled unit here in my area and includes both fenders w/wheel wells, hood w/hinges (sometimes mounted to the basic clip), core support, nose, and bumper.

Doug

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I think 82-86 Bonnevilles where on the G body platform then it ended all together in the US.
I thought they dropped the Boneville name up in Canada ~1982 and replaced it with the Grand Lemans name.
Anyway, all of these years Lemans, Grand Lemans and Bonneville will have the correct dash for you.
You wont find a better looking dash than the style you currently have imo..

We have thought about putting a Bonneville front clip on a Grand Am/Lemans etc...someone mentioned doing it on a Landau car.
The Bonneville fenders will work too. There are holes in the front of the fender, but the Grand Am/Lemans wide trim will cover it.

The front/rear bumper strips that come in the roll work nicely. Dont know what we'd do without it..

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Hey Hickson856, where abouts are you at? Big pieces such as dashes and bumpers can be expensive to ship depending on how for they need to go. There are a couple of lemans` in my local yards which could have the parts you need but unfortunatly, shipping from Canada can get $$$$
BTW, let`s see some pics of your Lemans :)
deanlemans81

1981lemans455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2011
Prince Edward Island
deanlemans81 said:
Hey Hickson856, where abouts are you at? Big pieces such as dashes and bumpers can be expensive to ship depending on how for they need to go. There are a couple of lemans` in my local yards which could have the parts you need but unfortunatly, shipping from Canada can get $$$$
BTW, let`s see some pics of your Lemans :)
deanlemans81
Hey Dean , there is a person on KIJIJI ( Ontario area ) who is scraping a 1981 Lemans GT...rare car...he has the rally dash and bumpers....the front bumper resembles the 1977-78 firebirds!!!
Trevor

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Just took a look at the add and there is some good stuff. The price for the dash is decent (i paid 125.00 for mine). I don`t need any of the parts he has advertised for now but if some one does it`s a decent deal. Thanks for the info.
deanlemans81

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor