1980 regal bulild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm goin to run one of those molded carpets in it haven't decided on the rest of the interior weather I'm going to put the plastic back in or sheet metal it all. And there aren't many 80s ware I'm from probly why I love mine so much because it's different a lot of Malibus montes and cutlasses around a few caminos but mines the only 80 regal. I love it.

A photo of the transmission crossmember I built. Getting close to making her start. Need a water pump and run my fuel lines and some wiring stuff and she should be able to pop off. Getting excited as I've never heard this engine run...bought it from my ol man who has and from what he tells me it's a good engine. Only run time is on the dyno.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 600
Progress is going to start happening now that I have my car at home. It was at my dads shop for quite a while and I wasn't able to work on it. Anyways I've started to run my fuel lines and get my drive shaft situation figured out. As well as figuring out what gauges I want to run. After that and I get my alternator its a bunch of wiring stuff and the car should fire up and move under its own power. A question I have is if anyone has run a low mount snug mounted mini alternator before. I really like the looks of it and don't wanna buy it only to have it not fit. Thank you

Well since the last post I have gotten my denenbear water pump bolted up got my alternator figured out, made my fuel pump mount made. It all looks pretty good. I should have some photos here shortly within the next couple days. I have kind of slowed down since I got the engine in the fiancé wants the wedding paid for before I finish the car. Beings the wedding is in may its coming right into crunch time. Also just figured out that we have a baby on the way!!! 😀 pretty stoked about that hopefully its a little boy so he can learn the family trade! beings we are all mechanics of some sort haha

also forgot to say in the last post that I had put my wheels on the car beings they are the only ones I have that hold air. Go figure. But the rear studs on my quick performance axles spun out of the hub on the axle. I barley touched them with a impact and BANG there they went. 4 total. With that being said the wheel is stuck onto the vehicle beings the rest of them went on fine. another incident occurred when I went to take the good ones off so I could cut the bad ones off. The ones that spun on freely wont come off either they did the same thing the bad ones did. Luckly this isn't my first time with this happening with quick axles. My father in law has a 79 camero and runs the same axles as I do and has this happen every time he takes his wheels off And I have personally put them all on by hand to ensure they went on freely. Screw them figure tight then torque them down to 100ft lbs max. Which you would think wouldn't be a problem beings every newer gm car calls for that torque spec on lug nuts.... dumb founding. Has anyone else ran into this?

Plans have changed with my old girl....She is no longer being a designated drag car. This means all the time and money I have into the car now is a waste...The plans changed due to the fact that I sold my engine and transmission...I did this to put a down payment on a house...But with these objects gone it opens up a whole new relm to me of different options. I have read time and time again about a ls swap into g bodies and I think its time that I try this. I will be going with a 5.3l 4l60e swap. keeping the nine inch but switching to a posi/locker/limited slip style instead of the spool. I will be doing bigger breaks, coil over suspension, tubular front control arms, bigger wheels, The interior will go back into it as it will be a driver now. The engine will remain naturally aspirated. but will have some performance parts thrown at it to get some more power. Instead of having a race car attitude as my ol man calls it and thinking the car doesn't have to be show quality I will be focused on making the car look exceptionally clean. It will take me quite awhile to get this accomplished but I feel its the right way to do it. I have never done anything like this like the different suspension and newer fuel injection into a older car but I see it as a fun challenge. ANY advise or oppinions as to where is the best companies for wheels, suspension, swap parts, would be greatly appreciated. As well as what mods bring these 5.3s to life a little more then stock. I feel a 400hp goal is pretty modest. I Just want the car to handle good and be able to get after it a bit when I feel I need to go fast.
Thank you in advanced for any input. Please post some sugesstions on the engine mods at least. I don't know what it takes to make power from these engines. I can look at parts all day but I don't know which ones actually offer the best bang for the buck.

sounds like you are choosing a better path. i too went through the drag phase but shifted my mind to a fun cruiser/weekend warrior. we have 1 year only cars that are kinda cool. good to see you decide to rescue her

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor