1981 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I'm in tune with the others, do minor upgrades and enjoy it. once you start tearing it down, it may be a good while before you'll be able to enjoy it again. my regal was a daily for 2 years, and it's more or less a pile of parts waiting on re-assembly 15 years after being taken off the road. the cutlass has been off the road for 6 years, and the grand prix makes an occasional appearance on the road in between updates/repairs. don't get me started on the gypsy wagon....

as far as what combo to put in it? that's up to you, as there's alot of possibilities. there's alot of members running LS setups, alot of us running sbc's, some year regals had olds 307's so 403 swaps are easy. there's even a couple members that have gone their own way with caddy 500's and nissan jgz swaps... that's the nice thing about these cars, the lend themselves to so many possibilites, and this site has alot of good folks with a wealth of knowledge, don't be afraid to ask for help, although a few us us may give you some good harmless fun along the way! welcome to the family!

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Go out on that thin limb if you have a pair- what hasn't been done 6 ways to Sunday? Series 1 3.8 with a Procharger? Hell yeah! Cummins 4BT boosted to the moon? F>ck yeah! LS? Meh;what makes it different?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Brodman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2017
There is no "market" for pure stock. Not yet anyway. There sure isn't one for modified, either.

You bought it for a reason. You didn't buy it because, oh, I wanted a V6 Buick Regal with 34K on the clock. What was the reason? If it was because it would be a fantastic base for a modified car, then you struck gold because it certainly seems that you did. If you bought it for a weekend cruiser just to tool around in for cheap, then it will do that too.

At any rate, find you some fillers and paint/install them, as you will probably need them no matter which way you decide. Once you get the car road-worthy, you have time to set your goal for the car. Leave it as is, or if the Buick was the car of your dreams you want to mod out and make a street monster out of, then do it. You will likely be cutting something somewhere once you start modding, so get the idea of keeping the stock crap you pull off of there out of your head unless you just do some suspension and wheel mods or what not.

Do a little or do a lot, you've got a great canvas that nobody has messed with....yet. :)
Thanks for your response. Interestingly enough, I just love GBody's and had no plan for it. It was a great deal and I couldn't let it pass. I also have a 1986 Olds 442 that's not nearly as solid. But it's more desirable than the Regal. So I also bought the 442 at an auction. It was a police auction (drug seizure). So it's like the alter ego to the Regal, it's Black with blacked out tinted windows. It needs a lot of TLC and unlike the Regal, it's not a great canvas and it has been messed with alot!
20190209_161717.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks for your response. Interestingly enough, I just love GBody's and had no plan for it. It was a great deal and I couldn't let it pass. I also have a 1986 Olds 442 that's not nearly as solid. But it's more desirable than the Regal. So I also bought the 442 at an auction. It was a police auction (drug seizure). So it's like the alter ego to the Regal, it's Black with blacked out tinted windows. It needs a lot of TLC and unlike the Regal, it's not a great canvas and it has been messed with alot! View attachment 113028
Stock motor, trans and rear end? Anything missing or wrecked inside or under the hood?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
I made it easy on myself, my first Regal that is all clapped out will be the "Breakin the Law" car with the 454 all stripped down and ugly. Then my T type can be the nice clean take to a car show at the park car.

But we don't all have the same intentions, whatever you do in the end just remember what everyone said, there isn't much of market for numbers matching all original non special edition G bodies. What there is a market for it tastefully and properly modified G bodies.

Brodman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2017
Stock motor, trans and rear end? Anything missing or wrecked inside or under the hood?
Stock 307 but it has an Edelbrock carb, headers and true dual exhaust, same rear end, same trans, dash is cracking and seats need upholstering along with carpet. Looking for a set of stock rims. Had to replace floor pan.

Reactions: 1 user

TURBO BUICK

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
I would want something else under the hood but I will second the vote to improve it, keep it running and enjoy it this summer. Consider a gear swap for your first upgrade. It would make the car feel a lot better and the 3.8 wouldn't have to work so hard. Beyond that, new shocks and springs and bolt in braces to tighten it up some. Maybe Blazer front brakes and a quick ratio steering gearbox? My car hasn't run in almost five years. It's more fun having a running car.

LS Swap it. You will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor