1981 Grand Prix LJ with 72k miles- should I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
I have the chance to pick up a very clean original 1981 GP LJ with 72K miles. It has the original Pontiac 4.3 liter V8, Metric 200 trans that shifts perfect, rallye wheels with all 4 red centers in place, recent rubber, tuneup, hoses etc, burgandy bucket seat interior that is fade free, working A/C and the body is near mint along with the frame and under carriage. The only problem area is the driver's door which has some surface rust. Does this car sound like it's worth $3500?

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
From the description it sounds like it could be worth around $3k but we probably need some pictures to judge better. Is it clean under the hood, not plastered in mud or grass or anything. What color is the exterior? Is that the 265 engine or the 301? Is it 4 BBL or 2 BBL? Also, are you looking for a collector, or daily driver, or something to modify? Sounds like a nice ride.

Munkey B

Greasemonkey
Jul 5, 2008
Detroit, michigan
i would say so esp for a NY car.
definetly check the bottoms of doors. that would make or break the deal at that price. always wiggle room

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
Yeah it's under the driver's door where the surface rust is forming but it isn't rotted through. The trunk and frame look perfect along with the floorboards from what I can see in the pics. The exterior is white and it has the 4.3 liter 265 2BBL engine which is all original other than belts and hoses and a recent tuneup. The lady did let me talk to her mechanic who serviced this car through the years and he said the car runs perfect and he wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Florida! I guess I'm looking for a collectable weekend driver to try and save miles on my 2008 Impala. I have owned no less than 5 Grand Prixs, a 1979 White LJ 301 2BBL, 1980 Burgandy LJ 301 4BBL, 1980 White SJ 301 HO W72 4BBL and 1981 LJ white coupe with 265 2BBL V8. This was of course many moons ago and sadly i don't have any of these cars today because either they were in an accident, rusted out and sadly one caught fire! I so miss the 1980 SJ and 1981 LJ. Those two were in the best shape and seemed to drive the sportiest of the bunch. Thanks for the replies

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you like the car and you can afford the 3500 then it's worth 3500...and as far as I'm concerned it's worth it...how many cars can you find that you are buying it from the original owner and have had the chance to talk to the mechanic who has serviced the car...plus the car is white and if you can only find some rust forming under the drivers door it's in great shape...

killerbeachboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2009
Sainte-sophie,qc,Canada
It look's to me as a good deal 'cause I payd about 2000$ canadian and with a worn out 267 cu.in chevy engine and some rust issues.....

I mean go for it if you can afford this car and how often you could buy a 29 years old car and talk to the original owner...

Don't forget to ask him why he ordered it a certain way (I mean why these options and not some others he could order at the time0to get to know more about the original history of that particular car

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
killerbeachboy said:
Don't forget to ask him why he ordered it a certain way

if he can remember why he ordered it a certain way 29 years ago his memory is better than mine....then again some things I did 29 years ago I'll never admit to it......lol

killerbeachboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2009
Sainte-sophie,qc,Canada
yeah but never forget that the original owner can always fill in some informations on the car that otherwise you'll never know, ah yes I almost forgot, ask him about the original bill of sale and window sticker (It'll fill you about the options of the car and the original purchase price) and also the protecto plates of the car

good luck with your great find

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
I'd like to find out about this car, if you didn't decide to buy it. I want an 81.

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
I'm waiting to see if my 1982 Regal Turbo coupe sells. There is a guy hot on it but hasn't got his tax refund yet so heres for hoping.
As for options the original lady owner said she bought the car as a leftover in late 1981 when the 1982's were out. It has the following:
4.3 liter 2 BBL LS4 V8
THM 200 Metric transmission
Four Season A/C
Tilt and Cruise
Delay wipers
Power locks
Bodyside moldings
Am/Fm stereo
Landau vinyl roof(burgandy)
Rear defogger
Rallye IV wheels
bucket seats/center console
Burgandy endura cloth seat trim
F/R floormats

It is the LJ model so it already has sport mirrors, lower chrome door trim, deluxe seat material, added sound insulation, hood ornament and a few deluxe trim items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor