1981 Malibu 2 door heater door cable pivot point replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolman78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2021
I broke the heater door pivot point today while taking the hvac head unit out. I can find the part. But how to remove the old arm? New arm says “turn clockwise to remove and replace “. Any tips or how to replace it? Thanks!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Where is it broke? If it's just the ARM broken, you can take what's left, remove any cables/rods attached to it, (don't break that threaded rod connector bushing, you'll pay hell getting a replacement. I think they make repros, but they're PRICEY!), and turn it so that the "wings" on the pivot pin line up with the corresponding slotted holes on the HVAC housing. You may not be able to see it without a mirror. Once it lines up, it'll come right out.

ugot-rff-168-20-feb-19-36-34-jpg.20863

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hopefully you can reuse yours, but if you break your threaded rod clip, you can buy this one for 15 bucks (or $6 plus shipping on the website), or you can hope to find GM p/n 1224062. They're pricey AF because the Corvettes use the same clip. So....

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Toolman78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2021
Hopefully you can reuse yours, but if you break your threaded rod clip, you can buy this one for 15 bucks (or $6 plus shipping on the website), or you can hope to find GM p/n 1224062. They're pricey AF because the Corvettes use the same clip. So....

Thanks 69hurst It broke where the cable from the head unit connects. I tried pulling up on it in all positions and I cannot get it out. Any idea what way the slot is in the box??

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC, you have to make sure all the connections are off the lever, then you need to turn the thing clockwise (CCW if you're looking up from the bottom). I might be backwards on that. But the thing is, there's slots in the housing that need to line up with the wings on the lever and it should just lift up and out. It's not like the slots are huge, so turn it slow while slightly lifting up. That's about the best advice I can give you. You MAY be able to reach it better if you take the glovebox totally out, but it's been so long since I done one, and my mind is dissolving, apparently.

Toolman78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2021
IIRC, you have to make sure all the connections are off the lever, then you need to turn the thing clockwise (CCW if you're looking up from the bottom). I might be backwards on that. But the thing is, there's slots in the housing that need to line up with the wings on the lever and it should just lift up and out. It's not like the slots are huge, so turn it slow while slightly lifting up. That's about the best advice I can give you. You MAY be able to reach it better if you take the glovebox totally out, but it's been so long since I done one, and my mind is dissolving, apparently.
Can you do this with everything attached but the glove box? Silly question I know

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

Mine broke while taking out the radio in my 88 Caprice, plastic broke trying to remove the AC/Heater cable.

Broke as one big chunk though, so I will try 2 stage epoxy, or I might consider melting the plastic back together with a soldering iron.

Attachments

• 9F31695E-6887-4DA4-8381-25C41974C9DC.jpeg
    9F31695E-6887-4DA4-8381-25C41974C9DC.jpeg
    862.1 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor