1981 MALIBU IRAQI TAXI - TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
Hahaha..Steve, I certainly would've given them a second glance.
When I lived in NY, they didn't use Malibus for cop cars. It was either the Caprice or a MOPAR of some sort.
I'm guessing upstate NY, New Jersey, Connecticut, Mass,.probably used them.
Cool picture of the black and white. Looks like a California special.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
to go out on a limb here ....

where these car not originally ordered by Iraq to give away to the families of the their soldiers who dead in the war with Iran back in 79 or so ?

and the reason the order was cancelled was due to quantity issues ?

Dave

I don't really know fore sure. I was under the impression they were for military guys. I had heard there were a few with automatics and a few wagons for higher ranking military officials. I never actually saw one of those. I heard they were standard trans because auto transmission mechanics were few and far between there. I thought Iraq backed out of the deal to build their war machine.
There were three GM mftg plants in my town with about 10,000 employees. GM ran out of these Malibus quickly. Disgruntled customers that had their name on a list to get one started a class action suite to sue GM for not coming through. They were all 1981's sold in the summer of 1982.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That's amazing, any pics of your cars?

I don't own the Iraqi taxi cars although I could likely purchase at least 2 or 3 of them.

1 silver with blue interior located in a lot about 45 min from me..

pXllJC.jpg

Tuw3zl.jpg

cJlX3i.jpg

Second is also silver over blue...and is located about 45 min form me in another direction..

ul7TIK.jpg

hard to see the shifter through the glass but it's there..

hbA8it.jpg

3rd is in a wrecker about an hour or so from me...also silver/blue..car is on the far right in this pic..

tpUhBJ.jpg

4th is in a wrecker about an hour or so away in a completely different direction and is brown with tan interior..no pics.

5th is about 2 & 1/2 hours away and is I think an olive green color but may have been repainted...I don't have pics was actually just recently told of that one still have the add that was sent to me but no pics.

6th is about 5 hours away from me...the fellow bought my 2 66 Chevelles and after finding out that I was "into" Gbodies mentioned he had one sitting at his place.

Here's a not so great pic of the 81 4 door I recently parted out..

8Nzoaq.jpg

an 83 that I parted out a couple of years or so ago..

OtgGmM.jpg

a pic of an 81 I could have picked up real cheap...but snoozed on and missed it..

p91QW9.jpg

Here's a pic of a 79 Landau car I picked up a few years ago...barely got this one home and my sons friend had to have it..

LNVzpD.jpg

an 80 that I bought strictly for parts...frame was rusted bad...

vvTW60.jpg

the main reason I bought it...and the rear plastic were mint...

mNQDLh.jpg

the 81 that started it all for me years ago...

4cDGXM.jpg

I don't have many pics on this one...barely owned it for 24 hours and a guy came through a red light and...

ggRsBN.jpg

broke the diff...torn up the frame and floor and door pillar post...I ended up getting it back from insurance about 8 months later and put alot of parts into building this one I gave my son for his 16th birthday...

yzIDOh.jpg

did most of the work ourselves...

what we started with for body...

bWYB8E.jpg

then the paint prep...

nKb1F1.jpg

W1cUXJ.jpg

after adding a 375 hp 350 and 4:10 rear and putting new shocks and springs in it..

UtXvbc.jpg

and the Malibu I should have kept...

QHtxGd.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

crooklin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 8, 2015
Canada
Wow, didn't think I'd get such a good thread going here, this is pretty incredible.

Thanks to EVERYONE for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor