1981 MALIBU IRAQI TAXI - TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Street raced, burnouts, doughnuts, straight headers, tires pertuding, jacked up too high, modified factory equipment,change lanes without signal, speeding, rolling a stop sign,,,,etc any of this stuff sound fimilar to any of you guys from your younger days?
This new member is 20 years old. He did some dumb and risky 20 year old sh*t. Hell he may have even smoked a cigarette and texted while driving. Thankfully nobody was hurt. He also has an interest in G bodys and came here to discuss one. You guys pointed out what you had a problem with. He apoligized and promised not to do it anymore. What else do you want from this guy?

Man some of you guys could mess up a bacholer party.

I was going to chime in on this subject, but instead I'll just say X2!

Nice taxi btw. And yes, a 4 or 5 speed swap should be super easy with this to start with. My first car was an 80 Malibu 4 door, and my back windows didn't roll down either. I, too, drove it home with no insurance! While smoking a cigarette!

Reactions: 1 user

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
My mistake, he didnt apoligize. But really, does he owe you one? Are you the Canadian mounted police? Are you going to issue him a pardon if he does? Should we not discuss his car or answer his questions? Should we turn his thread into whatever you feel like non stop talking about like insurance premiums and risky behavior? Shall we stone the infedel with the Iraqi taxi? Internet police maybe? Admistrator of this website? Shall we banish him from all that is G body for eternity and lock his thread? Get over yourself.
Maybe you havent noticed but there isnt a line of 20 year olds taking interest in this hobby. This is a car website. They have other websites where your mentoring and strictly by the book policies may be welcomed. But Im pretty sure the area in which the OP was asking for help/advise was about his G body on a G body website.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My mistake, he didnt apoligize. But really, does he owe you one? Are you the Canadian mounted police? Are you going to issue him a pardon if he does? Should we not discuss his car or answer his questions? Should we turn his thread into whatever you feel like non stop talking about like insurance premiums and risky behavior? Shall we stone the infedel with the Iraqi taxi? Internet police maybe? Admistrator of this website? Shall we banish him from all that is G body for eternity and lock his thread? Get over yourself.
Maybe you havent noticed but there isnt a line of 20 year olds taking interest in this hobby. This is a car website. They have other websites where your mentoring and strictly by the book policies may be welcomed. But Im pretty sure the area in which the OP was asking for help/advise was about his G body on a G body website.

I don't need your condescending attitude. Do a little research in what uninsured drivers costs us who are insured. With this kid's attitude I bet he won't give it a second thought to driving under suspension and no insurance again

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Hi
I bought one of the taxis new. My first new caer was a 78 ElCamino SS. When I found out that twins were on the way in 1982 I needed a fordor. My understanding was that there were 4000 stored in Oshawa in a yard and 16,000 in Nova Scotia on a dock. I work at GM, so I got a discount on it. They all were retrofit at the dealers with catalytic convertors and filler pipe restrictors. You could still buy leaded regular then so I stored my convertor for future use.
They did have cassette stereos and A/C. My car was gold with green side moldings and dull paint. The shocks were almost none existant and the 185 tires didn't help. It was so ugly, I took it into my garage and started a retrofit the day I drove it home. Hurst 3 speed shifter, AP 15x7 WIremags, black lacquer with a red candyapple stripe, new shocks, flat black grille. Four weeks later it was back on the road.
They have a 3 speed with a 3.5 first gear and 2.73 rear gears. I swapped a 66 Chevelle saginaw 4 speed with a typical 2.2 first gear. It burn the clutch out in a month. I later found a Vega saginaw 4 speed with a 3.25 first gear and it was ok with the 2.73's. The 3 speed is now in my Malibu coupe with a 400 sbc and it survives with 2.41's. I swapped the '81 to automatic in '88 and sold it.
I bought a second taxi a few years ago for parts. The front seat had a big crack and a buldge into the back seat. I pulled $32 in change out of the seat. Lots of $2 and $1 coins. Check you car closely. LOL
Iraqi Gold Mine.jpg
Iraqi Export Malibu Invoice.JPG

Iraqi Malibu Export Bill.jpg
Iraqi Export Malibu.JPG

I have a 80 fordor. I thought if a 96 Impala SS 4 door looks good, maybe a Malibu can.
Malibu SS & Impala SS.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Thats some cool info. Just think, 16000 G body factory 3 pedal set ups just sitting there.
Ilike what you did to yours. The front air dam looks good on a 4 door and with your stance, it looks amazing.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I normally wouldn't have given a 4-dr a second glance, unless of course it was a wagon, but your car turned out amazing. I do like the original appearance of the car with the gold paint and steelie/dog dish combination.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics along with window sticker. I truly enjoyed it.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
The red '80 has been parked in my driveway for a few years deteriorating now. It may provide the missing pieces for a basket case ElCamino I have. The '80 fordor has F41 sway bars, quicker steering box, 305 4 bbl, 700 r4, 3.23's. I scored matching buckets and the car was originally splitbench, so had the brackets. A fleamarket $5 Hurst ratchet shifter and a consle. Steering Wheel is a Buik T type painted to match. I like rally wheels but the originals are 14 x6. I found some s10 truck 15 x 7's, painted them like factory Malibu's & added Olds trim rings. A Camaro muffler provided a duals look. It was a nice car to drive. The factory should have made a Malibu SS 4 door.
I only paid $100 for it around 2002 with a V6, thm 200. I bought it because the back bumper was nice. It had a dent in every door, but very little rust, so I laid some cheap paint on it and made it my winter car.
80 Malibu front with S10 15x7's.JPG
Hurst.JPG
S10 15x7's.JPG
Duals.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The car was tastefully done. It looks like you went thru a series of wheel and tire combinations. The 15" S-10 wheels are a nice, subtle, stock look on the car.
Looks like you own a nice fleet of rides.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
to go out on a limb here ....

where these car not originally ordered by Iraq to give away to the families of the their soldiers who dead in the war with Iran back in 79 or so ?

and the reason the order was cancelled was due to quantity issues ?

Dave

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I normally wouldn't have given a 4-dr a second glance, unless of course it was a wagon, but your car turned out amazing. I do like the original appearance of the car with the gold paint and steelie/dog dish combination.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics along with window sticker. I truly enjoyed it.

Jack, in your younger days I bet you gave these 4 door Malibus more than a second glance...haha

6a00e54ed05fc2883301b8d08f7795970c-400wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor