1982 Cutlass Wiper Switch. HELP!

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
I have recently bought an 82 Cutlass and upon receiving it, was told that the wiper switch was broke. No problem. I’ll replace it right? Nope. No one offers one and they all seem to have been discontinued. If anyone can help or has one I would greatly appreciate it!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
First, you need to provide more info. Do you have tilt wheel? Do you have delay wipers or 2 speed with a low and Hi only?

The wiper switch is in the column. The wiper stalk kinda doesn’t have much to do with the wiper speed selection except to see the settings.

There are switches to be had. You just have to know what you need first.

Reactions: 1 user

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
First, you need to provide more info. Do you have tilt wheel? Do you have delay wipers or 2 speed with a low and Hi only?

The wiper switch is in the column. The wiper stalk kinda doesn’t have much to do with the wiper speed selection except to see the settings.

There are switches to be had. You just have to know what you need first.
I have the tilt column with the delay wipers. Yeah I got the old switch out this afternoon and have a new wiper stalk. This existing switch is broken and missing pieces, so it won’t accept a stalk.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have 84-up G-body ones, but they don't technically work as the wiring is different. I don't know exactly how, but...

Found one. But dig deep.

You will be searching for part number 7837280, or ACDelco # D6258A. You are right. It seems like the supply just dried right up.

And if you think 225 is pricey, you should see what sold on ebay recently. 240 and 405. So there's that.

82-83 Camaro/Firebird with tilt and delay use the same switch part number. As well as 81 Toro, and 82-83 A-body FWD. Also some 84-87 B-bodies. Gotta have tilt and delay, though.

I'm thinking out of the box here, but if the head piece is the same, perhaps you could re-arrange wiring from a newer switch 7843683. The wiring colors are different, but I don't know the matchup of the 82-83 to the 84-up.

Good luck.

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
I have 84-up G-body ones, but they don't technically work as the wiring is different. I don't know exactly how, but...

Found one. But dig deep.

You will be searching for part number 7837280, or ACDelco # D6258A. You are right. It seems like the supply just dried right up.

And if you think 225 is pricey, you should see what sold on ebay recently. 240 and 405. So there's that.

82-83 Camaro/Firebird with tilt and delay use the same switch part number. As well as 81 Toro, and 82-83 A-body FWD. Also some 84-87 B-bodies. Gotta have tilt and delay, though.

I'm thinking out of the box here, but if the head piece is the same, perhaps you could re-arrange wiring from a newer switch 7843683. The wiring colors are different, but I don't know the matchup of the 82-83 to the 84-up.

Good luck.
You’re the man! I knew someone out there would know the cross references GM ran on these all those years ago. I found one for a toro that looks pretty similar. For $15 it’s worth a shot. Even if it only takes care of my signal light function. I can always run an external delay for my wipers as this is a small tire car and will only come out on the right days/nights. But it’s still a street car! Again, I appreciate all the help buddy!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's an 84-up switch wiring diagram below. If anyone has an 82 diagram, maybe you can use the newer switch to rearrange the wiring to make it work??? I don't know what, if any other differences there are from 82 to 84. The key to all of it is if the wiring path is the same in the wiper washer switch head itself. The 84-up has an electronic circuit board on the wiper motor which assists in powering up some washer and wiper motor functions. I'm kinda thinking that no, the 82-83 switch head is internally different with the contacts. But don't quote me on this.

The more I think about this, I believe the earlier models got power to the motor directly, and not through the switch as 84-up do. The switch would just line up grounds instead of lining up power. I could be wrong on this but some little gremlin in my head keeps suggesting this.

I'm leaving this info here anyway, in case anyone can come up with some 83-83 information to make a comparison.

84-88 pulse tilt wiper wiring diagram.jpg

Here's an 84 switch with tilt/pulse.
1685760428035.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Your turn signal lamps come off the turn signal switch. COMPLETELY different circuit. So if you're having issues there...

ACDelco # D6222, GM p/n 1997983. This is for the turn signal switch itself. They CLAIM 1997988 fits as well, but it keeps showing it for cars without tilt or pulse wipers. Not sure if or why that would make much difference. But, whatever. I'd stick with the 983 myself.

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
Your turn signal lamps come off the turn signal switch. COMPLETELY different circuit. So if you're having issues there...

ACDelco # D6222, GM p/n 1997983. This is for the turn signal switch itself. They CLAIM 1997988 fits as well, but it keeps showing it for cars without tilt or pulse wipers. Not sure if or why that would make much difference. But, whatever. I'd stick with the 983 myself.
Right it does come from a different circuit but the wiper switch itself has a bracket that runs a cam that controls the turn signal switch. I bought a new one of those as well. My problem was that the wiper switch was cracked and missing the connection point for the stalk to connect to, which wouldn’t allow me to engage the signal lights or control the wipers.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Right it does come from a different circuit but the wiper switch itself has a bracket that runs a cam that controls the turn signal switch. I bought a new one of those as well. My problem was that the wiper switch was cracked and missing the connection point for the stalk to connect to, which wouldn’t allow me to engage the signal lights or control the wipers.
Exactly. So if your wiper switch is fubar, it needs fixing. The biggest problem is that if you don't know how to remove the switches from the column, it's hard to get them at the junkyard. And as you can already notice, new wiper switches are drying up fast. But there HAS to be some mid-80s B bodies and 82-83 G-bodies with tilt and pulse SOMEWHERE to dig a good one out of.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I've been looking into doing the swap from 2 speed to pulse delay, and have learned quite a bit in the process. First, you're not gonna find pulse delay parts cheap unless you're lucky. Nor will you have any luck with other stuff just matching up and working- many subtle changes were made as well as a couple bigger ones like whether the switch controlled positive or negative current. Here are some links to threads on this forum where you'll find promising info about retrofitting newer units. The last time I checked there was no absolutely guaranteed answer, but I have an idea I'd like to try later (motor/switch combo not yet tried).

Delay wipers- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/delay-wipers.76905/

85-88 delay wiper swap- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/85-88-delay-wiper-swap.80909/

What all involved in swapping to DELAY wipers?- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/what...o-delay-wipers-81-elcamino.60179/#post-511005

Delay wipers fix maybe- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/delay-wipers-fix-maybe.83864/

Pulse/Delay Wiper Switch 1980 Malibu or Monte Carlo- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/pulse-delay-wiper-switch-1980-malibu-or-monte-carlo.78805/

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor