BUILD THREAD 1982 Malibu Wa-GOON 6.2/4L80e/8.5

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Now when it’s on the ground, I have just over 1” of clearance.

With that all done, I took it for a ride. Brakes DEFINITELY don’t feel as strong as they should be. Tried bleeding it again with a vacuum bleeder, and it seems like there is endless air in the system. I’m at the point wrenches will start flying in the garage
I feel your pain with brake strength. Is your pedal travel excessive, or is it that you can't get them locked up without applying Arnie Schwarzenegger type leg pressure?

Edit : be careful of bump steer and the issues it creates by adding the bump steer tie rod deal. I can talk at length about the danger of bump steer in my application, or I should say, not understanding the exact effect of too much bump steer in my application - damn near wrecked me.

Reactions: 1 users

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
I feel your pain with brake strength. Is your pedal travel excessive, or is it that you can't get them locked up without applying Arnie Schwarzenegger type leg pressure?

Edit : be careful of bump steer and the issues it creates by adding the bump steer tie rod deal. I can talk at length about the danger of bump steer in my application, or I should say, not understanding the exact effect of too much bump steer in my application - damn near wrecked me.
Can’t get them locked up without excessive pressure.

With the added clearance, I am going to bring it back to as close to stock as possible. Could probably go back to the stock tie rods at this point🤦

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Can’t get them locked up without excessive pressure.

With the added clearance, I am going to bring it back to as close to stock as possible. Could probably go back to the stock tie rods at this point🤦
That could be either a geometry issue inside the car on the pedal or a volume issue - which I cannot make any recommendations for other than to measure brake pressure at the calipers to see if you have enough.

Reactions: 1 user

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
That could be either a geometry issue inside the car on the pedal or a volume issue - which I cannot make any recommendations for other than to measure brake pressure at the calipers to see if you have enough.
Stock pedal and booster with a wilwood M/C. Also switched to a disc/disc prop valve

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Stock pedal and booster with a wilwood M/C. Also switched to a disc/disc prop valve
What size master cylinder?

Incorrect size here (too large) vs. the original part would require more foot pressure to yield the same brake leverage.

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
What size master cylinder?

Incorrect size here (too large) vs. the original part would require more foot pressure to yield the same brake leverage.

This is the one I ordered. Tom Buell has the same one and it works perfect.
IMG_0535.png

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I commented on that master cylinder a while back when you showed yours the first time.that was one of the issues I had. Like I said before Wildwood said that the master was bad (rite outta the box)and could only be rebuilt in-house by them.Tom still running that malibu?

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
I commented on that master cylinder a while back when you showed yours the first time.that was one of the issues I had. Like I said before Wildwood said that the master was bad (rite outta the box)and could only be rebuilt in-house by them.Tom still running that malibu?
I just went back and re-read that. It would be my luck I got a bad one as well. Tom is still running it I believe. What M/C are you running?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'd be interested to hear what wilwood would say about your issue.I'm running a stocker.that late model s10 master has been the go to for a while now.theres a few folks running them on here.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor