1984 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2021
I am planning on possibly buying a 1984 Buick Regal Sedan for a few reasons:

1) I always thought they were dope looking cars and the engines sound sick.
2) I heard they were very easy to maintain, fix, and parts were very interchangeable and easy to find and fixing it is very affordable.

I am in Vancouver BC and I was wondering if the number 2 part of my list is true?

I am asking this because I do not know or remember much about car class in high school (I am getting old so my memory is not as good as before lol) so I want something easy and affordable to use just for daily driving.

I know Hondas and Toyotas are known for my number 2 and parts are everywhere so I was wondering if that is the same for 1984 Buick Regal?

What do I need to look at to know what type of engine it is?

Engines are swappable?

They take unleaded fuel?

What is the best fuel efficiency engine?

The only other time I had a G Body was an old cutlass 1980 LS and I did not have to do much other than fill the oil up as it had a very slow leak and I had to adjust the gear shift string to match the dashboard, I bought it cheap but I eventually sold it.

Is the 1984 Buick Regal the same?

Is the headliner easy to fix?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I am planning on possibly buying a 1984 Buick Regal Sedan for a few reasons:

1) I always thought they were dope looking cars and the engines sound sick.
Sounds has a lot to do with what you do to the car. Won't be anything special in stock form.
2) I heard they were very easy to maintain, fix, and parts were very interchangeable and easy to find and fixing it is very affordable.
In short, yes. Now it will be a 40 year old car, so there might be some tiny trim dodad that takes searching. Not every piece of a car is reproduced. But if you're taking a out thinks thay keep it running and moving, easy to get and cheap.
I am in Vancouver BC and I was wondering if the number 2 part of my list is true?

I know Hondas and Toyotas are known for my number 2 and parts are everywhere so I was wondering if that is the same for 1984 Buick Regal?
Uhh.... Hondas and Toyotas are NOT cheap to fix. And many of their parts operation are a PITA to work on.

The regal will likely take 1/5 the expense and time to fix what a Honda or Toyota would.
What do I need to look at to know what type of engine it is?
Casting numbers on the block. If someone ever swapped engines then vin number might not be accurate. And, a 305 chevy will look like a 350, 400, etc ci one. A 307 olds will look like a 403, etc etc. Same true on Pontiacs.
Engines are swappable?
Yes.
They take unleaded fuel?
Yes.
What is the best fuel efficiency engine?
Depends on your driving use and style. Sometimes a v8 does better than a v6.
The only other time I had a G Body was an old cutlass 1980 LS and I did not have to do much other than fill the oil up as it had a very slow leak and I had to adjust the gear shift string to match the dashboard, I bought it cheap but I eventually sold it.

Is the 1984 Buick Regal the same?
They're old cars as stated. Well maintained will be reliable, but things can break. Part depends how the prior owners keep it up.
Is the headliner easy to fix?
Yes. I prefer to rebuild the factory fiberboard ones over the abs backed replacements. Aftermarket are kind flimsy, less heat insulation. Just need to remove fabric, remove old degraded foam backing, fix cracks, apply resin, then use spray adhesive to attach new fabric.

Aug 2, 2021
Sounds has a lot to do with what you do to the car. Won't be anything special in stock form.

In short, yes. Now it will be a 40 year old car, so there might be some tiny trim dodad that takes searching. Not every piece of a car is reproduced. But if you're taking a out thinks thay keep it running and moving, easy to get and cheap.

Uhh.... Hondas and Toyotas are NOT cheap to fix. And many of their parts operation are a PITA to work on.

The regal will likely take 1/5 the expense and time to fix what a Honda or Toyota would.

Casting numbers on the block. If someone ever swapped engines then vin number might not be accurate. And, a 305 chevy will look like a 350, 400, etc ci one. A 307 olds will look like a 403, etc etc. Same true on Pontiacs.

Yes.

Yes.

Depends on your driving use and style. Sometimes a v8 does better than a v6.

They're old cars as stated. Well maintained will be reliable, but things can break. Part depends how the prior owners keep it up.

Yes. I prefer to rebuild the factory fiberboard ones over the abs backed replacements. Aftermarket are kind flimsy, less heat insulation. Just need to remove fabric, remove old degraded foam backing, fix cracks, apply resin, then use spray adhesive to attach new fabric.

Thanks, as long as it isn't too rusty, or rain leaking in, I don't care all that much about a few missing trims or whatever.

Oh it is that affordable to fix to keep running eh? perfect.

I am mostly just using it for getting around so nothing fancy. I mostly drive slow and speed limit. what is the best engine?

Do you have a link as to where the different engines and their looks?

I have not looked at it yet.

The header sounds easy enough. Is there a place where I can find the blueprints so I know what to take off?

Any advice on what to look for prepurchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor