1984 H/O 22k SURVIVOR For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and if the spare is original, it's got 3.73 open rear axle. A 15" spare donut was used with open rears, posi got 16".

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
He does say the hood has been painted but there is other area's that have been too. Look at both door latches it has over spray on it and you can see a black rubber plug that car has had rust proof at the dealer. There are other plugs above the rocker on the inside opening, for some reason it has gray over spray on it should be black. My Hurst has the same plugs in the same spots as this car and they are all black. Trunk has been sprayed with a ruff texture black paint, the factory was more of a smooth black plus you would see a clear/some what yellow tint rust proof on the inside quarters on top of the black paint from the factory. Engine bay well a lot of painting there too for a 22K survivor car not just the hood. The car looks solid by looking at the pictures but always ask questions when you see something odd.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla

hayabrusa

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2015
Good luck finding any barns or farmland in or near Toronto....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hmmm. Found something else that made me go hmmm. Nothing with the car really, but the QC issues that were never caught in the 80s when they built these cars. Some may recall the charcoal canister hose clamp that was never put in the right place on my 85 442 (among other little things they forgot) but that was in Arlington. In Lansing, the guy with the same job must've had the same brain fart that day? It appears this car has a canister clamp that wasn't clamped in the correct final placement. Maybe. I dunno. Not saying it may not have been moved by the owner(s), but it seems that the hose isn't seated and the clamp isn't doing anything. I mean, it looks pretty original under the hood besides the alternator/belts/hoses (and someone apparently lost the top rad hose strap) and the hood hinges appear to be touched up with black paint. The underhood area was grayish/silver on mine, and I know they said they repainted the hood in the ad, so black underneath isn't correct, but oh well. I'm thinking they just sprayed black underneath the hood and it looks like they painted the originally phosphated hinges to black. That's not a huge deal to me because that can always be fixed.

It also sorta bothers me there doesn't appear to be any liquid in the rad overflow bottle. Which is an original tank btw. It has the p/n molded into the front of the tank. Later correct rear cap bottles had the p/n cast into the top. A strange thing to me is where the power antenna cable/wiring went. Should be right there next to the HVAC crap. Probably had to disconnect all that junk and tuck it away because the power antenna cable snapped. If it was in the original position, the cable/wiring would be laying right there on top of the fenderwell. There's a couple of clips up that way (if they put them in at the factory) that someone sure wasn't using. Otherwise, all the other equipment right down to the oil cap seems original to the car. Like the 198 A/C compressor and the KL brake M/C. Even kept the battery hold down clamp. The emission A.I.R. hoses also seem to have the original crimp clamps on them with silver check valves, indicating they're originals.

I was able to determine it was built in January 84 based on the door jamb stickers- which shows evidence of being taped off and the door jamb had been repainted as 84 W40 suspected. Date makes sense because it also has the "2nd design" alternator belt routing which has the double power steering pump pulley. 1st design had the VIN Y belt setup where the top water pump pulley alone drove the alternator.

Also, it APPEARS to have a KMPH speedo. There's a whole lot more numbers on it than a standard U.S. 85 MPH speedo. Can't hardly tell the numbers as the closer in you zoom, the pixilation goes to crap. Additional signs of someone spraying silver in the door jambs is it appears on the passenger jamb, the normally black plastic seat belt release lever has some silver paint on the base, and the normally either zinc or cad plated dome light jamb switches seem to show silver paint as well. There's more to this car than meets the eye, IMO. I'd like to put this car on a lift and take a better look. Right now, I wouldn't offer more than 13 or 14K at MOST for this car without doing more investigating. There may have just been some surface rust or something starting in the door jambs, or just looked cruddy, or mold or something requiring paint? I don't know. There was a reason for new paint. The air fresheners make me wonder if water didn't get in somewhere and stink up some stuff?

It still pains me that they left bird poop on the car when taking pictures. Look close, it's there. COVER THE DANG THING UP WITH AN INDOOR COVER! EVEN INSIDE THE BARN, FOOLS!

Would I buy this car? Probably. But not for 21K. Never. Even if it does only have 35K KM on it. Just my musings on it.

84 HO underhood charcoal canister hose clamp.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not really excellent condition looking at that headliner.
Every original G-body headliner will look similar to that at some point. EVERY ONE. No escaping it. If yours hasn't yet...wait. It will. And there's nothing you can do to stop it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor