1984 Monte Carlo..ls swap ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
And what you are looking to do with it, if its just cruise then pull n pay is your best bang for the buck followed by junkyard
Yea obviously I want to look nice but this will be a reliable cruise car. But also want something that can “GET UP”when I want it to.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Dig your boots in and read up on the LS swap thread here. A ton of good information on what to use. Your budget or lack there of will dictate what path you choose.
I'm running a 5.3 from a 2000 Silverado. It's cammed, valve springs and some other needed internal upgrades along with a custom converter and 4L80E trans. It's a solid cruiser, gets up to speed quick and I can drive down the highway with ease. I went a bit overkill on mine though to make it look clean.....
20210417_142015.jpg
20210416_155246.jpg
20210416_133158.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Did you make a build thread?
I should. I will. I've been asking a lot of questions on the LS swap forum. I'm going to start disassembling the chevy this weekend.

Reactions: 1 user

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
Dig your boots in and read up on the LS swap thread here. A ton of good information on what to use. Your budget or lack there of will dictate what path you choose.
I'm running a 5.3 from a 2000 Silverado. It's cammed, valve springs and some other needed internal upgrades along with a custom converter and 4L80E trans. It's a solid cruiser, gets up to speed quick and I can drive down the highway with ease. I went a bit overkill on mine though to make it look clean..... View attachment 173674 View attachment 173675 View attachment 173676
Looks DOPE! I plan to do some major research before I start spending. I will look into the tread on ls swap. Thanks

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you're never going to push it beyond 500hp, then any LS will do. If you want the most bang for the buck, then buy a 6.0/6.2. Both will be an extra $1k or so, but worth it in the end - if you have a sub 500hp goal.

The sub 500hp goal also makes most everything else an easy decision. You don't need a beefier transmission or rear - a 7.5 rear, TH350, stockish 200-4R or 700-R4, 4L60 will work. You can use a budget 340lph in tank pump in a stock fuel tank with the only the addition needed will be an inline post pump filter. Personally, I wouldn't mess with anything other than a Holley Terminator only because of the ease, inclusiveness and price. It will be cheaper to use a factory ECU and harness, but you then have to have someone modify it and tune it. When all said and done, the Holley will be just about the same price, if not cheaper. You need motor mounts and an oil pan for every LS swap.

Depending on your transmission plan, you'll need a bare minimum of $2500 and it's super easy to drop $5K. If your budget isn't in this range, then ........ hmmm.......ought to come up with a different plan.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Looks DOPE! I plan to do some major research before I start spending. I will look into the tread on ls swap. Thanks
Scott, give Ray an idea of what you have spent under the hood to make that eye candy so sweet (if you know the amount).

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Scott, give Ray an idea of what you have spent under the hood to make that eye candy so sweet (if you know the amount).
LS swap in general, or just the pretty parts? The pretty stuff, maybe $1k-1500 give or take. The LS swap as a whole, I'd say a rough guesstimate of $7K.
Jim, I learned a long time ago not to keep track lol!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
None of it matters. Unless it carries a CARB cert, you can't do it. It's been discussed here 1000 times. Even those with "ways around it" decided to bail on the idea.
eRod is a slam dunk. https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/ERODE.html Get out the cheque book (Hi, Canadia!). Make sure you be really cool, and scab some old school 3 speed trans behind it ( :puke: ). Oh, and your 7.5 rear won't be long for this world, either.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
If you're never going to push it beyond 500hp, then any LS will do. If you want the most bang for the buck, then buy a 6.0/6.2. Both will be an extra $1k or so, but worth it in the end - if you have a sub 500hp goal.

The sub 500hp goal also makes most everything else an easy decision. You don't need a beefier transmission or rear - a 7.5 rear, TH350, stockish 200-4R or 700-R4, 4L60 will work. You can use a budget 340lph in tank pump in a stock fuel tank with the only the addition needed will be an inline post pump filter. Personally, I wouldn't mess with anything other than a Holley Terminator only because of the ease, inclusiveness and price. It will be cheaper to use a factory ECU and harness, but you then have to have someone modify it and tune it. When all said and done, the Holley will be just about the same price, if not cheaper. You need motor mounts and an oil pan for every LS swap.

Depending on your transmission plan, you'll need a bare minimum of $2500 and it's super easy to drop $5K. If your budget isn't in this range, then ........ hmmm.......ought to come up with a different plan.
Yea that sounds good for my price range. I will do some more research and hope for the best. Thanks for all the information and will be keeping everything updated on my journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor