1984 Monte Carlo..ls swap ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
LS swap in general, or just the pretty parts? The pretty stuff, maybe $1k-1500 give or take. The LS swap as a whole, I'd say a rough guesstimate of $7K.
Jim, I learned a long time ago not to keep track lol!
Yea my goal was to keep under 6k-8k for the engine. I was going to start hunting a LS soon. What are some pretty stuff items that I can start looking into?

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You'll definitely want to replace all the fasteners, gaskets and throttle body on the swap motor. You should also tackle a harness retrofit and try to tune a stock ECU with HP tuners, especially if you've never done it before. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Choose your own adventure:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yea my goal was to keep under 6k-8k for the engine. I was going to start hunting a LS soon. What are some pretty stuff items that I can start looking into?
If this is your budget, then buy a running 6.0/6.2 and find a 4L80. Then head to the Holley swap kit section of their site : https://www.holley.com/products/eng...-body_ls_swap_components/ls_engine_swap_kits/

This an easy $5-6K and it will be the simplest setup for a base setup with your budget. I'd recommend not using their fuel system.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Try to find a running engine that's had some care. For example, we bought a 20k mile L96 6.0 for my brother's 78 Z28. If you don't mind finding an unwelcome surprise or having to pull the engine later to fix it, then by all means get one at Pick-Your-Part or some other source where you don't really know what you bought until you get home with it.

A cam and valve spring change will get you to your power goals.

If you want an automatic transmission, I recommend a 4L80E. The 700R/60E transmissions are marginal at stock power levels, in my experience. Spend the money on a quality (Circle D, FTI, etc.) torque converter with a stall speed to match your combination and how you want the car to perform.

There are a few options if you want a manual transmission but they are all more expensive. Post back if this is how you want to go. The T56 Magnum or the new TKX would be excellent.

Rear gearing depends on your tire size, transmission gearing and how you want the car to perform. With overdrive you'll likely be in the 3.23-3.73 range. With a three speed (why?) You'll probably want to be in the 3.08-3.23 range.

If you're interested in what my brother and I did with his 6.0, check the Camaro thread linked in my autosignature. That starts with a lot of body work so you'll have to go a few pages in.

If you'd like to see my experience with the 4L65E vs. 4L85E, check out my GMT900 thread where I swap to a 4L85E.

There are lots and lots of ways to skin this cat. Once you make a few decisions and have a few parts of the swap purchased, the others will start to fall into place.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor