1984 Non SS With Strange options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
I have an 84 MC Non-SS, 2 Owner Car. This car was bought new off the lot in 1984 by my fathers friend, my father bought it 5 years later, so we know the history of this car since new, only modification was a radio, power antenna, and now some performance options. However the car seems to be full of surprises. It had the LG4 non SS 305, but had the 58cc L69 cylinder heads. Absolutely no radio option, no antenna or even a radio delete. but it does have factory front and rear speakers, had a radio, and the original non power antenna was mounted in the left rear quarter panel which I am yet to see on an MC. Also, my father sanded and painted the car in around 1993, and to the best of his knowledge he doesnt remember seeing any bondo or signs of a patch in the RF fender where there wouldve been an antenna at one time. It also has options such as the CD4 Intermittent wipers and BW2 Trim on the side of the fender, door, and 1/4 but those are not listed on the spid. Besides that it is just funny how many options that came on the car, yet are so uncommon on a non ss to my knowledge. Bucket seats, center console with ash tray compartment, Landau top, F41 suspension, full gauge package + clock, leather upper door panels, most non ss' ive seen had a cloth panel. Everybody who is into these cars deeper than me and hasnt seen the car says its impossible to have blank and blank and blank that SS only blah blah, must have been swapped by a previous owner so on and so forth, but we know the cars history since new on the lot. I am just curious if anyone here has seen anything like this before and can maybe shine some light on this.
mc11.png
mc2.jpg
mc3.jpg
mc44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
So you have a car that is very clean and nice with all the options every one wants? I say awsome! Does sound strange though.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sounds like a customer ordered it,then canceled.
Someone probably ordered it and went to the dealer to pick it up and saw a new SS sitting there loaded and bought that instead.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
RPOs don't lie.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Page 34 of this link is an alphabetical listing of RPOs for the 1984 Monte Carlo https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...ts/Monte-Carlo/1984-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.pdf

Some of the codes listed on the SPID will be components such as specific springs, which will not be on the list

In that time frame, (according to a salesman when I was looking at ordering a new El Camino) you could order a car with the speakers and wiring for a radio, without ordering a radio

See, thing is, "back in the day", you could spec out a car pretty much how you wanted it, rather than picking from a limited set of packages as is done today.

• Agree

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
Wow Im in love with that car. I love those light burgandy ls and sc. Looks so good with the top.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

86MCLS

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2018
Bothell, WA
Have you compared the VIN plate on the car to the sticker in the trunk? They may have slapped the wrong sticker on there at the factory, causing much of the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor