1984 8.5 Axle Bearings

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
Does anyone know or have on hand what is the rear axle bearing I will need for rebuilding my 8.5 rear end? My research is telling me that is a Timken 5707 with a 1.402 bore but it seems like it could possibly be a bearing with 1.62 bore axle bearing. Any advice is appreciated.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A word about Timken (btw, 5707 is correct for G-body). Be careful about Timken in today's world. You need to get an OLDER bearing to ensure it was made in U.S.A. Otherwise it likely would be Chinesium. That's why I try to get older ACDelco bearings and seals if I can. Most of the time old Delcos are Timken, National, or other good, older Japan-made NDK or Swedish SKF bearings, but the newer stuff might be made in some sweatshop somewhere. Pay attention is all.

For a G-body Regal/442/84Hurst 8.5, 1.40" inside diameter x 2.251" outside diameter x .697" thick. The cool thing is, 7.5 G-body axles use the same bearing! Some B-bodies use a different bearing but some earlier B-bodies use the 1.4's, too. So MEASURE them if you have a B-body just to make sure. B-body police cars I think came with the bigger bearings as well, but I'm getting too old to hang on to that useless info in my feeble brain.

GM p/n 7451785 superseded to 12471606. ACDelco RW20-09. Don't forget the seals. GM p/n 554631 (Delco 291-309) or equivalent. GM still sells them for $15 bucks list price. But I'd probably search secondary markets for the older junk. You don't know what you'd get nowadays.

1710938869023.png

For anyone interested, the 1.62 B-body bearing is Timken 6408, GM p/n 9440097, ACDelco 1559TS.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
A word about Timken (btw, 5707 is correct for G-body). Be careful about Timken in today's world. You need to get an OLDER bearing to ensure it was made in U.S.A. Otherwise it likely would be Chinesium. That's why I try to get older ACDelco bearings and seals if I can. Most of the time old Delcos are Timken, National, or other good, older Japan-made NDK or Swedish SKF bearings, but the newer stuff might be made in some sweatshop somewhere. Pay attention is all.

For a G-body Regal/442/84Hurst 8.5, 1.40" inside diameter x 2.251" outside diameter x .697" thick. The cool thing is, 7.5 G-body axles use the same bearing! Some B-bodies use a different bearing but some earlier B-bodies use the 1.4's, too. So MEASURE them if you have a B-body just to make sure. B-body police cars I think came with the bigger bearings as well, but I'm getting too old to hang on to that useless info in my feeble brain.

GM p/n 7451785 superseded to 12471606. ACDelco RW20-09. Don't forget the seals. GM p/n 554631 (Delco 291-309) or equivalent. GM still sells them for $15 bucks list price. But I'd probably search secondary markets for the older junk. You don't know what you'd get nowadays.

For anyone interested, the 1.62 B-body bearing is Timken 6408, GM p/n 9440097, ACDelco 1559TS.
gulp. <<used amazon Timken outer pinion bearing >>

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It's probably fine. A china made Timken isn't any worse than SKF, Schaeffler or anything else made recently. A 1990's Timken sure but today they are all the same.

The big difference between old timken and new timken is that old Timken used to do their steel & bearing manufacturing under the same company. A vast majority of old timken bearing steel was a proprietary formula, internally manufactured carburized 8620 vs, SKF, JKET, or Sheaffler used 52100 bearing steel. 8620 carb is harder on the outside and more squishy on the inside so it lasts longer. Former director of engineering of Eaton told me the Timken stuff always outlasted competition, that is until the steel division spinoff.

Back 10+ yrs ago the California state teachers pension had majority stakeholdership in Timken. Timken steel didn't make money, bearings did. Steel division was a loss leader but it made great bearing profits so it was OK at the top line. To teachers & investment bankers in California they saw the steel division was a low profit division and needed to be sold. They didn't know that steel mfg. is integral to the quality of a Timken bearing, nor did they care, they just wanted their pension to make money.

So the pension board forced Timken to sell of their steel division. So now, Timken buys their steel from elsewhere, and SKF, Shaeffler, whoever, can buy Timken's proprietary bearing blend steel from the now separate steel division.

1710964706438.png

• Informative
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor