442 1985 442 Dash Brake Light Staying On

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
LOL! While I do "HAVE" the Fisher Body Manual and the Olds Chassis Service Manual, I have not yet relocated them after my move. So your information, and especially this picture, are very helpful. Do I have the switch and bolt properly identified in the attached picture? And sorry about the "Geezer"!! I didn't realize this forum assigned names based on usage. Was surprised to see my "Not-Quite-So-New".
You got it right. Of course, to see it on your car, you'll need to take that bottom cover panel off, then twist and contort your body where you can see up in there where the switch is, then remove the wire connection just to see if the lamp goes out. If it does, then you may be on to something. It could be the lever spring is weakening and isn't making the lever come back to completely "off" position. Or it could be the switch. But if it still is on, it's likely something else.

Reactions: 1 user

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
You could check the switch and see if it moved a little and is causing it. If I remember correctly it just has little ridges in the plastic to hold it in the clip. If it’s original as you said, it may have deteriorated. That old age thing that happens to the best of us!
The switch is iin fact the original. And, as you say, that age thing is inevitable!! Thanks for your input. I just need to figure out how to get to the switch. At least '69HurstOlds' pic of the brake lever is helping me to know where the switch is situated.

Attachments

• 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - Parking Brake Lever and Switch.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - Parking Brake Lever and Switch.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 60

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
The switch is iin fact the original. And, as you say, that age thing is inevitable!! Thanks for your input. I just need to figure out how to get to the switch. At least '69HurstOlds' pic of the brake lever is helping me to know where the switch is situated.
Actually it should be fairly easy to get to, and if you have someone that can twist or stand being almost upside down under the dash makes it even easier! Seems the older we get we just don’t move in spaces like we did in our younger days.
But it is fairly exposed or might have to pull the one screw and pull off the kick panel.

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
I had a 85 Pontiac parisienne that the brake switch went and the brake light stayed on all the time and it kept killing the battery took me a week to figure it out changed the switch all good after that good luck with it and have a good day Jeff from Winnipeg
At least my light goes out when I turn the ignition switch to "OFF. Hopefully I will be as successful as you were. Not a real big deal though - it's just that the light stays on when I'm driving. Don't appear to be any issues with the braking function. Thanks for your comment!

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
Actually it should be fairly easy to get to, and if you have someone that can twist or stand being almost upside down under the dash makes it even easier! Seems the older we get we just don’t move in spaces like we did in our younger days.
But it is fairly exposed or might have to pull the one screw and pull off the kick panel.
Thanks for the tips! I certainly am not as flexible as I used to be! But your comments give me hope!!

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Okay mine brake light and the cyclops light stayed on all the time just trying to help not trying to confuse the situation good luck in finding the issue have a good night Jeff from Winnipeg

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
This is one of those issues that seems at first to be sorta rare, then once you post about it, then more people chime in and say something to the effect of it happened to them, too. And hopefully with all that experience, someone may just land on a quick resolution to the issue.

EDIT: If you bought a G-body new as we did, everyone in that category is probably a Geezer by now!
I did buy my G-Body new, but I also ordered and bought my '72 Supreme convertible new as well, which makes me even an older Geezer!! Just regret not having had enough cash to spring for the 455 when I ordered the '72!

• Winner

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
Okay mine brake light and the cyclops light stayed on all the time just trying to help not trying to confuse the situation good luck in finding the issue have a good night Jeff from Winnipeg
Thanks Jeff! No, I really appreciate your help! Actually, now that you've said that, I wonder if my 3rd brake light is staying on as well when the dash light stays on! I'll have to check that. I always disconnect my battery when I won't be using the cars for a while. Thanks!! You have a good night as well. Mine won't be so great, since my team lost big today!!

Attachments

• 1972 Olds With Trophy - DSCN 9017.jpg
    1972 Olds With Trophy - DSCN 9017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I think it was already mentioned the other spot is the single wire going to the brass portioning valve under the master cylinder. There is a little sensor pin that sometimes pops out if brakes are used hard or or you had to bleed the brakes. There was a couple ways to fix it. One tapping on it in hopes it will reseat, two might be replaceable, and three is a new portioning block and have to bleed the whole brake system. You can see where the single wire plug goes and I think it’s usually brown. May want to google the first two options for double checking unless someone knows better than me or had already mentioned it
6A4104C8-B348-4ACD-BD8D-EABEDF8D367F.jpeg
105ED4F1-9E78-46DF-9979-32D96C754D92.jpeg

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
I think it was already mentioned the other spot is the single wire going to the brass portioning valve under the master cylinder. There is a little sensor pin that sometimes pops out if brakes are used hard or or you had to bleed the brakes. There was a couple ways to fix it. One tapping on it in hopes it will reseat, two might be replaceable, and three is a new portioning block and have to bleed the whole brake system. You can see where the single wire plug goes and I think it’s usually brown. May want to google the first two options for double checking unless someone knows better than me or had already mentioned it View attachment 209023 View attachment 209024
Thanks UG! (Hate to refer to you by the full name!) I'll try some of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor