1985 Grand Prix 305 how do i make it faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
i have a 1985 grand prix le with a 305, so far i have put an open element air cleaner, and an accel supercoil with matching cap and rotor. im wondering what i can do to make it faster. i just picked up the car for $400 locally. i dont want to do an engine swap for 2 reasons, 1 i live in an emissions testing county, and 2 the engine was replaced with a brand new jasper 305 in 2000. i know alot of parts from monte carlos and other g-bodys are compatible but i was curious if suspension parts would be the same because i want to do something about this body roll this stock suspension has as well. also, what kinda HP came stock in these cars.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you're going to keep the 305, then I would start by upgrading the exhaust system to a lower restriction setup. Edelbrock makes a tubular exhaust system, that will connect to a stock type catalytic converter, then there are a number of aftermarket cat-back systems available for the G body, or you can get a system fabbed up by a muffler shop. Then, you could swap intake manifolds to pick up some power. There are a number of emissions legal intakes available as well. That's probably the best way to start out. After that, you can install a performance camshaft, and/or possibly better cylinder heads. Take your time, and try and evaluate the improvement in performance after each change, 'till you get the performance level that you're looking for. Good luck.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
if the 8th letter of the vin is an H it was 165, if its a G it was the H.O. at 190.

gear, exhaust, headers, intake, 600 edelbrock carb, electric fan and fuel pump, mild stall 18-2200, if its a 200/700 then put a servo in it and if its a th put in a shift kit, rear sway bar, poly bushings, bilstein or koni shocks and front and rear springs from a full load car or wagon (for handling if thats what you want), and low profile tires. you will be very happy with that. the only problem is then you will want more and will need to get a bigger motor or power adder. if its a stock replacement motor you can throw in a stock 350 cam (thats what H.O. motors have) and some roller rockers.

hope this helps, its a little pricey, but in the end you will have a lot of fun with this setup for the street.

hope i helped a little.

merry christmas. :D

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
darn its an H. what im trying to get out of it is 14s-15s 1/4 mile times and keep it street legal on a budget. i deliver pizza with it for a living so things i do cant take more than a day or so to do. i plan on the whole thing taking me about 2yrs realistically to get to the level i want it. Once emissions is done for it i will probably just throw a 350 in it and swap over all the parts i can from what i do to the 305 as much as i can.

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
also, how can i tell what trans is in it, is there a vin decoder or something i can look at. thanks in advance

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Is it a 3 speed auto, or 4 speed auto? As I said before, just take your time, do one modification at a time, and see how it affects the performance of the car. When you get to the point that you're looking for, then you can stop, and wait 'till the car is emission exempt. I don't see any reason why you can't transfer any performance parts over to a 350 engine, if you do a 350 swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor