1985 Review Throwback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Isn't that a thing these days, throwback Thursday? I don't know.

Anyways, 69hurstolds should appreciate this, and, many of the rest of you as well. Just entertainment value:

And a longer original article here:

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Funny how the "expert" commenters in the comment section don't know sh*t about the cars, even when claiming to have one back in the day.

Sadly, I remember the day I saw the C&D magazine sitting on the magazine shelf at the local 7-11. I think I wasted money buying it but I still have that rag somewhere in a file cabinet or maybe in the shop somewhere.

I can say this. On the street back then, the 85 GN wasn't to be feared that much. I used to mess with Montes and GN's stop light to stop light back then and it ended up pretty much a wash depending on driver quality I believe. Camaros were more of a problem but could be had if you caught them napping. I do admit, after the intercooler was added to the GNs, look the f*k out though. Those things came alive! Still rode over bumps like crap, though.

The main antagonist in 85, IMO, was that danged Mustang LX 5.0. Those m-fers were bottle rockets on wheels. Never could catch those bastages. YMMV. I do know they got enough under my skin I went and test drove an 85 LX 5.0 manual transmission car just to see what the hubub was about with those things. Jesus that thing was quick for a new car. No weight and much cheesier interior than the Olds, but if you wanted to terrorize, that was the car with some attitude. Even a bunch of the SC State Troopers drove them.

It's kinda sad, looking back at it. While MCSS and GN actually got better as they neared the end, and especially the Firebird T/A and Camaro Z28 versions started to come to life, the 442 got worse. They detuned the transmission and with the roller cam, they were a little torquier down low, but lost their breath on the upper end, not the that H/Os and 85 442 had much lungs to lose anyway.

I used to b*tch about my car's name being R. Zimmerman from "The Wedding Album" (look that up if you're too young to remember). Very good down low, but then on top end, it wheezed. But I've never loved a G-body more.
1677792731622.png

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funny how the "expert" commenters in the comment section don't know sh*t about the cars, even when claiming to have one back in the day.
Then again, everything was a monte ss to people back then. And, lots of people had grandma's car and think it's equal... oh, I had that v8, same car man....
I can say this. On the street back then, the 85 GN wasn't to be feared that much. I used to mess with Montes and GN's stop light to stop light back then and it ended up pretty much a wash depending on driver quality I believe. Camaros were more of a problem but could be had if you caught them napping. I do admit, after the intercooler was added to the GNs, look the f*k out though. Those things came alive! Still rode over bumps like crap, though.
Back in 1984, 1985, NOBODY knew what a grand national was. Sure, even years after they stopped making them a bunch of people didn't know, but, mostly it was thought of as a slow grandma Buick, maybe with that 'crappy turbo' they used since '78. Even in the later years people downplayed the LC2 cars because of everything early hot air that was slower looked close to the same. Odd side note, still have my 85 Firebird 305/700/borg warner 9 bolt 3.23, but id like a white or metallic red laint, bright red interior, GTA fully loaded with tpi 350....
The main antagonist in 85, IMO, was that danged Mustang LX 5.0. Those m-fers were bottle rockets on wheels. Never could catch those bastages. YMMV. I do know they got enough under my skin I went and test drove an 85 LX 5.0 manual transmission car just to see what the hubub was about with those things. Jesus that thing was quick for a new car. No weight and much cheesier interior than the Olds, but if you wanted to terrorize, that was the car with some attitude. Even a bunch of the SC State Troopers drove them.
Agreed. But it was the early years they were fastest and lightest. I remember them having some for the staties on the highway up north too. But even the 5.0s porked up as the years went by and lost some of that edge, it was those early ones that would rip.
It's kinda sad, looking back at it. While MCSS and GN actually got better as they neared the end, and especially the Firebird T/A and Camaro Z28 versions started to come to life, the 442 got worse. They detuned the transmission and with the roller cam, they were a little torquier down low, but lost their breath on the upper end, not the that H/Os and 85 442 had much lungs to lose anyway.
But every time you think about what the Hurst/Olds and then 442 morphed into, look at the GP 2+2 which was all the Prix ever got... then you can feel a bit better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor