1986 442 engine, revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
hey, i had posted about a potential LT1 swap in our 442 but we wound up selling it and making a nice profit on it to a kid that really needed it more than us. so me and my grandpa were discussing engine options and keeping it stock with original motor and mild hop ups is what he decided he wanted. i posted on ROP and was told to swap in a 350 or 403 and save the original engine, which i'm not surprised and totally understand.
i figured i'd post on here and see if i could get a few nibbles on working with the 307... i havent really looked up 307 performance in a long time but this is what i've gathered as a few basic build up outlines.... we know that this is polishing a turd, we already have our go fast cars this is gonna be the nice restored sunday cruiser but with more pep than stock, we have no problem throwing money at it and have no expectations of tire shredding power, just anything better than stock 180 and on the computer
Build up idea 1:
-bore .030 over (or .020 if we can get away with it)
-KB hypereutectic pistons
-slightly larger roller cam with factory replacement lifters
-5A heads rebuilt and machined to maintain 8-8.5 to 1 compression
-performer intake (already have a used one)
-crane 1.65 roller rockers
-hooker ceramic coated headers with true dual exhaust
-stock distributror, MSD Box, coil and wires with pertronix ignition module
-rebuild stock q-jet
-delete AIR system and any other useless BS that wouldnt adversly affect the computer
-rebuilt trans with shift kit and stock converter by either ck performance or freddy brown (both are local)

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
build up idea 2:
-bore .030 or .020 over
-KB hypereutectic pistons
-stock vin 9 cam and lifters
-rebuilt stock heads
-crane 1.65 roller rockers
-preferably hooker headers but manifolds may suffice
-duals of some kind
-rebuilt carb and all emissions kept in place

unless we happen upon a nice deal for a SBO the 307's staying..... for now anyways... it was pointed out that adding the 5A heads, headers, deleting emissions stuff, aftermarket intake etc. that its originality was already tarnished, but it'd still be a cool build in a way, better than swapping in a chevy anyways...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since you are asking for opinions...again, you'll probably hear stuff you've already heard. I really think you'd be money and power ahead to just store the original 307. Personally, I've always been a sleeper fan. I'd suggest looking for a 350 or 403 in decent running condition, dress it like the original 307. Reseal it and give it a Krylon rebuild. Retain the EGR, AIR, original manifolds, etc. You probably won't see any power loss unless you actually put it on a dyno -- you're not likely going to feel it in the seat-of-the-pants. If absolutely necessary, you can run a traditional HEI and non-CC Q-jet to keep the factory look but I know that guys have had success retaining the computer controlled components with bigger engines. A stock 350/403 will outrun a built 307 9 times out of 10. Olds motors aren't that hard to find but they are pretty expensive to build (compared to a SBC or SBF), so it makes even less sense to spend that money on a 307. Worst case, a 350/403 won't coat any more than a 307 to build (if you have to)-- but you get the extra cubes.
The bottom line is this. It's a 442. If you hack it up it's just another Cutlass with mismatched, shiny, go-loud parts. But, if store the original engine and disguise a larger engine, you can have your cake and still look like a 442.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
keep us posted. I'm curious. :popcorn:

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Why not Forged pistons? KB hypereutectic pistons are just cheap massed produced pistons (thats why the OEM uses them) if you run with Forged maybe one day you will want to upgrade engine and put some power through it. Find a nice 350 and build that..

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Just do a stock rebuild on the original 307 ( including the stock 7A heads ) and do a little tweaking in the process without putting too much $$$ into it.. If I were to build a swirl port 307 with your goals in mind, I'd mill the heads for a bit more CR ( around 8.5 or so ), get a good valve job on the heads, maybe back cut the valves, and get a custom roller cam made that will give me a little power boost over the stocker emphisizing low/mid range power. I'd run the stock intake and exhaust manifolds with a nice 2 1/4" true dual system.

I'd nix the 1.65 rocker arm idea though. If you're getting a new cam, just get one with the lift.duration you want from the get go.

Possumz

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I havent done any Olds motors in some time. But a friend of mine years ago pulled his 307 and dropped the 403 in in stock form and it was just bad a _ _. I dont know if they make one or not but why not stroke the 307. Had a 305 stroked once years ago and it was nice but I could have just done the 350 or 400 for less and maybe I would have kept it. But you have a lot of good ideas. Just pick a plan and stick to it as it is easy to get things changed up in the middle of a build. Good luck and as always have a good build and its nice to have a family member to help you as it is a great chance to bond and share memories.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
so in the past 48 hours ALOT of crazy things have happened.... my grandpa was disgusted with the idea of not having decent power and gave in to saying "screw numbers matching, this is my damn car i'm gonna make it my way for f**ks sake!" so he opted to buy my 71 350 off of me which was going to be for mine and my brothers car, but oh well we'll just have to find a BBO :twisted: and times on our side anyways. so now that he has his engine, we're gonna send it out to Lawrence race engines who built my 455. the plan for the 350 is what i had planned for it when i thought i was keeping it in my 71 cutlass: 6cc .030 over speed pros, rebuilt original # 7 heads, lunati 51804 cam with decent roller lifters, RPM intake, HV oil system, full MSD ignition, hooker super comps, 2.5" duals, roller rocker, 2.00" and 1.625" valves, stockish bottom end, ARP fasteners everywhere and other odds and ends.
this DEFINETLY the last time we go back on forth on what damn engine to run!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
snotrocket71 said:
i'm gonna make it my way for f**ks sake!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for him. I have a feeling he wouldn't have been too satisfied with the 307 no matter how much you guys did to it.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
DRIVEN said:
snotrocket71 said:
i'm gonna make it my way for f**ks sake!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for him. I have a feeling he wouldn't have been too satisfied with the 307 no matter how much you guys did to it.
yeah, he gets alot of opinions for family, friends and "experts" so it makes his head spin as far as what to do and not do as far as the engine. as far as i'm concerned we're saving the car from rotting to the ground so anything we do is better than just letting it go to waste
i REALLY wish he listened to me and went with a big block :twisted: that woulda been cool as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor