1986 442 Shift Knob removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Anyone know how to remove the shift know on a 1984 Olds 442? It's the floor mounted center console shifter. I see 2 holes on the backside of it. Do I use those to release the clips to remove it? I want to take the center console out to work on it.

Thanks!

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
there's a small c-clip that holds the shifter handle on, its on the passenger side of the handle. Generally, all you have to do is get some needle nose pliers and pull the clip out, then pull the handle off. if the shifter handleis NOS or new or gummed up, you may have to bump it slightly with a rubber mallet after pulling the clip. (be careful)

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
Evan's 85 said:
there's a small c-clip that holds the shifter handle on, its on the passenger side of the handle. Generally, all you have to do is get some needle nose pliers and pull the clip out, then pull the handle off. if the shifter handleis NOS or new or gummed up, you may have to bump it slightly with a rubber mallet after pulling the clip. (be careful)

Yeah hit it with a hammer. :lol:
I use a thin small flat blade screw driver myself. Just come up from under the horse shoe ring & pull towards you. This is what you will be removing. You'll see the back side when installed.
the horse shoe clip is pictured on the bottom.
http://www.gbodyparts.com/popup_image.p ... a5127def54

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor