Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Anybody out there know someone thats wants to rebuild a 307 vin 9 engine
62,000 miles and has a tap. im thinking piston slap
im in the chicago area. I have a 86 442
very clean car im about to give up on it....

Attachments

• 442  crap 003.jpg
    442 crap 003.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 1,224

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Its usually just lifter tap. It can either be lived with a long time if needed or repaired relatively inexpensively. Sharp car!

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Wouldn't piston slap go away after the engine is fully warmed up? Supposedly a lot of the 3.1 v6's in cieras, buicks and luminas had a piston slap problem and goes away after warm up. My ciera has a noise similar to piston slap when its really cold out but disappears 5 minutes or so later. If its a lifter tapping away it's not so bad and can be replaced with the engine in the car.

Also when has the intake gasket been changed last? These 307's are famous for dumping coolant in the cylinders because the aluminum and metal dont mate well.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yep have them repair replace the lifter(s) maybe fresh springs and intake gasket all at the same time. Neither shop time or parts bill should be anything like a rebuild/refresh to fix a piston slap motor. So that should be great news. :D

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
sergio said:
Anybody out there know someone thats wants to rebuild a 307 vin 9 engine
62,000 miles and has a tap. im thinking piston slap
im in the chicago area. I have a 86 442
very clean car im about to give up on it....

Silly to give up on a nice, rare Olds just because the engine has some noise. Swirl port 307's are crap anyway from a performance standpoint so if you're not keen on fixing it then you have a perfect opportunity to dump it and replace it with an Olds 350 or 403.

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
where are you located if your close I may be able to help, hate to see such a beauty ditched because of a mild repair

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
This happen 2 years ago the engine would tap more after the engine got hot ...Oil pressure is good ...Had all the lifters replaced and it stopped 4 monthes later the same noise came back. Not giving up just pissed. Im in the 60446 area...PM me if your intrested in looking at it. Thanks Guys

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Had the intake manifold gasket done also when the lifers where replaced

Attachments

• 8 tracks 003.jpg
    8 tracks 003.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 798

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I suspect someone who know heads & properly setting up valvetrain for ideal geometry/wear can tell you what they did wrong or did not do or what also should have been inspected & replaced like a worn rocker bent push rod or something. BTW the license plate wall on the inside of your fence is kind of cool. I have seen that on inside garage walls but never outside. I see you have the Olds hood buldge. I made mine functional on a 442 that I salvaged & did an economical home restification on. You can see it in my pics if you click the photos button. BTW sharp as your car is you need to puts some photos in your photo album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor