Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
DeboDaddy said:
beginningpics3.jpg

Whose Cutlass is that in the top right of the picture and why aren't they joining the forum too? :D

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
no need for a turbo for high 11`s

I went CC503 comp cam , 52mm T/body, port job on the 374 heads , headers , 4:10 gears + 700R4 for a final ratio of around 3:23 with a 9.5" 3000 rpm stall T/Converter
I should obtain 11.80 with a good ECM calibration
Dan
p.s: my only fear for now is converting the harness ...i dont want to buy easy way harnesses but I have some ignorance on how to convert it myself

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Blake442 said:
Whose Cutlass is that in the top right of the picture and why aren't they joining the forum too? :D

I believe that picture was at the auto auction that the car came from. I had it shipped to me from Kansas if I remember correctly.

And I know I don't have to do turbo, but I'd like to at least try it out. I mean, anyone can throw some heads and a cam in an LT1 and run high 11's, but you dont see many turbo LT1 Monte's driving around do you? :lol:

I just wanna do something different.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
DeboDaddy said:
And I know I don't have to do turbo, but I'd like to at least try it out. I mean, anyone can throw some heads and a cam in an LT1 and run high 11's, but you dont see many turbo LT1 Monte's driving around do you? :lol:

I just wanna do something different.

There is always the turbo 3800 Series II engines. :D I have only seen one person on this forum with that.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
nice cars!!

where did you get those lenses for the back of the blue MC? those are nice

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
3XBrownCutty said:
nice cars!!

where did you get those lenses for the back of the blue MC? those are nice

The lenses are just VHT nightshade tinted. Its tint in a spray can, and if you take enough time to fully prep the surface and be patient when applying coats, it can actually turn out nice.

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
oh I know all about AI stuff. I was looking at either the AI or Lloyd Elliot heads. Both seem to put down similar numbers. I just really like the turbo idea.

*Update-I haven't made much progress on the car in the past few days. Been really busy with work and school starting back up. I'll keep you all posted though.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Do you have a thread detailing your paint and bodywork? I just bought a really nice cutty that doesnt need paint.....but I aint crazy about beige. I feel guilty about sanding and painting it but..... a nice burgundy would really be what I'm looking for. Did you do the jambs, trunk and underhood? Did you sand all the way down to the metal? Sorry, for all the questions on this thread. :? Nice car by the way!

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Larryg said:
Do you have a thread detailing your paint and bodywork? I just bought a really nice cutty that doesnt need paint.....but I aint crazy about beige. I feel guilty about sanding and painting it but..... a nice burgundy would really be what I'm looking for. Did you do the jambs, trunk and underhood? Did you sand all the way down to the metal? Sorry, for all the questions on this thread. :? Nice car by the way!

I take it your talking about the blue car? I don't have any pictures of the paintwork on it because I didnt do it.

If you want a "nice" paint job, unless you have/have access to a paint booth, it will never be as good as it could be. You would be wetsanding/buffing the car for days and still would probably never get all the dust/dirt out of it.

As far as the bodywork, if the body is in good condition and you just don't like the paint, i would sand the whole car in 180 or 220 grit, prime it, block sand the entire car with 400 or 600 grit, depending on what the painter asked for, then take it somewhere to have it painted.

Sometimes I do the jambs myself on my cars, sometimes I just have my painter do it. It will probably save you a hundred or two if you jamb it yourself though.

80% of the final outcome is in the prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor