1986 Monte carlo ss build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
Also can I get power to the fuse block from the top post on the solenoid? I ran the old wire from fuse block to starter to it but it needs to be on the bottom doesn’t it?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The fusible links that power the car and were originally mounted to your hot terminal on your starter where the battery cable went will get transferred to the constant hot of the Ford solenoid and mount on the same terminal as your battery cable running from the trunk and the only thing that goes on the other large stud is the cable going down to the starter.
Also if you didn't already do it your starter needs a jumper from it's solenoid to the power terminal on the starter since the Ford solenoid will now be doing it's job.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
1BDEBDCC-887E-488F-AE9A-A6D30282EDC7.jpeg
I got taillights put in and most of work for the trunk mounted battery. Thinking about putting a battery cut off switch in the passenger side fender well. I bought a cheap one from Harbour freight have not decided on installing it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I installed a Flaming River cut off switch in the trunk, it is rated at 250 continuous amps since I didn't want any issues overloading the switch.
IMG_1319.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
What are your thoughts on mounting the switch threw the rear tub? I like we’re yours is at but I was thinking of it being accessible from outside the car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this for track use? I haven't finished mine yet but my set up for track will have an extended handle that exits in the middle where the license plate is mounted.
I don't have a fold down license plate bracket since I have a fuel cell so there is just a plastic mounting plate it screws to.
With the decklid closed this is the only spot you can mount a switch without really cutting into the car.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
The car will be street driven. I was thinking on putting a 1” hole in the passenger wheel well and mounting the switch were the key can be accessed from the outside of car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have mine in the trunk so I can use it for security, if I walk away from my car the power is off and the trunklid is closed and for me it is a convenient easy to reach spot, I personally would not want a switch in a wheel well where it can be exposed to water and road debris IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
What side do you have it connected to positive or negative? I have read several different opinions on this and I am leaning toward the negative side. If connected to the negative ground it shouldnt need a 250 amp switch should it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor