1987 cutlass 307 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Let me put my 2 cents in...

easier to find a sbc and transmission combo and swap it in than to mess with the 307 and the metric transmission. You could probably find someone who wants your engine/transmission if it is running well and it looks clean. In the long run, if you keep and like the car, sbc is the way to go.
Here where I am, there are 305/turbo350 combos literally laying around everywhere. I have several in my yard that I cant give away.

However, olds guys will say otherwise, but really you have a boat motor in your car:rolleyes:. Get a sbc. You will be happier. They are dime a dozen.

For now, put old carb back on and do a little research on how to eliminate emissions hosing. Some vacuum caps and a little knowledge will clean up your engine nicely.

btw, just saw your username... where are you located?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Let me put my 2 cents in...

easier to find a sbc and transmission combo and swap it in than to mess with the 307 and the metric transmission. You could probably find someone who wants your engine/transmission if it is running well and it looks clean. In the long run, if you keep and like the car, sbc is the way to go.
Here where I am, there are 305/turbo350 combos literally laying around everywhere. I have several in my yard that I cant give away.

However, olds guys will say otherwise, but really you have a boat motor in your car:rolleyes:. Get a sbc. You will be happier. They are dime a dozen.

For now, put old carb back on and do a little research on how to eliminate emissions hosing. Some vacuum caps and a little knowledge will clean up your engine nicely.

btw, just saw your username... where are you located?
BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!
:)

Put a 455 Olds in it. You will be happier yet than putting in another lame ol' SBC. Plus it will be different. Or keep everything kind of static by putting in a 403. Either way, you'll need to beef up the drive train.

It's all what you want to do.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!
:)

Put a 455 Olds in it. You will be happier yet than putting in another lame ol' SBC. Plus it will be different. Or keep everything kind of static by putting in a 403. Either way, you'll need to beef up the drive train.

It's all what you want to do.

well, just sayin is all...

:itchy:

Jsoler12183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2019
I ordered everything to do the carburetor swap already lock up kit and hei distributor anyone know what timing I need to have it at and also a diagram of the firing order?
Will the ac still work after doing all this ?

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Timing specs were said earlier, your ac will work if it was hooked up before, firing order is the same as SBC. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. HOWEVER, the oldsmobile distributor rotates counter clockwise. make sure you have the #1 cylinder at TDC of COMPRESSION. (Intake, Compression, Ignition, Exhaust, [or suck, squeeze, bang, blow). Rotate the engine with the driver's valve cover off until the intake valve opens and fully closes. Line the balancer up with either 0*, or 10* BTDC, or whatever you want. Best to do it with a little on the balancer and then a little with the distributor. Make sure the rotor is either at or coming up on whatever terminal you have #1 plug wire at.
oldsfiringorder.gif

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I ordered everything to do the carburetor swap already lock up kit and hei distributor anyone know what timing I need to have it at and also a diagram of the firing order?
Will the ac still work after doing all this ?

Not trying to bust your balls cuz maybe I missed something but what exactly are you trying to gain by all this parts swapping? Seems like you're spending a bunch of money, time, and effort that will net you zero gain in the end. You may want to reconsider doing all this until you have a better understanding of how all this stuff works or you're gonna have lots of tuning headaches.

No, your AC will not work if you decomputerize your car unless you do a little wire splicing. You'll need a service manual to see which wires.

Jsoler12183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2019
I got everything with engine working right but my 200 metric transmission did not have the hole to install the pressure switch for lock up. Anyway to do it without a pressure switch ?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You will probably have to drop the pan to install the switch.

Jsoler12183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2019
So i Tested the wires coming out from the side out the transmission 2 of the wires purple and green are hooked up to a switch on the brake pedal they get power with the key on and ground with the key off but no matter what when I press the brake they cut on and off. The third green wire just has constant ground
40E577B0-6FCB-43F6-B6FF-C7AB7F271459.jpeg
2911DF96-AFE3-47A4-A2BD-C6BFCE61B977.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor