1988 Cutlas GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Hi all. I'm buying a 1988 Cutlas GT. I've never heard of this model before and was wondering if anyone has heard of this model and could give me some information about it. The owner has given me some background, but isn't sure about how this model came about.
It looks like a 442 (black and silver), has the 307 engine in it, buckets, air, etc. There is a plate on the console that says #14 or 280.
Any information/background/history on this model would be greatly appreciated.
I worked for a GM dealer back in the day, and I know that we never had one of these in our dealership.

thanks

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about the Cutlass GT on this site several years ago. I'm not sure if all of the history was transferred when we went to the new site design. You might want to try searching through the history on this site.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
pics would help... I ran across a 1988 cutlass supreme classic from the factory!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Actually, the GT was a "conversion" of sorts by a company in North Carolina if memory serves. It was a silver bottom paint, console plaque, stripes, GT decals and a stick on hood scoop. Not much actually. NO performance or suspension mods at all. Just asthetics. And I think you could get a wing on it too, but can't recall. Not sure what the "standard" GT package consisted of, but was available only on the 2 door with buckets. Never really followed the conversion process to see how the logistics worked, but I'm supposing it was a south eastern dealer thing.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
69hurstolds is correct, a NC dealer conversion. Actually like these better than the so-called H-Os from that year; those things are horrible, with those crappy plastic skirts and such :puke:. Horrible way to end something that was decent; not sure how they're even considered Hurst/Olds' seeing as Olds had absolutely NOTHING to do with them

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
69hurstolds is correct, a NC dealer conversion. Actually like these better than the so-called H-Os from that year; those things are horrible, with those crappy plastic skirts and such :puke:. Horrible way to end something that was decent; not sure how they're even considered Hurst/Olds' seeing as Olds had absolutely NOTHING to do with them
To each their own, I think they look cool when done right but it's easy to go horribly wrong with that kit...
31755550005_large.jpg

Olds did have something to do with it, licensing (H/O nameplates), which is just about as much engagement as they did with some of the previous years since some of them were modified at Cars & Concepts.

I think a Silver/Gray color scheme 442 is horrendous, especially when paired with a gray interior if you want to get into bad ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor