1988 olds paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
Is your paint starting to fade, it looks pretty good. No vinyl top is a huge bonus, no hidden rust. As said lines will be left so all emblems and the mouldings with their clips will need removed. Your car needs some RWL Radial T/A's or similar. I have those same rims back on my 88 with T/A's. It is now Tremclad fire red, it was originally white then semi gloss black.
It’s mainly fading on the hood the top and the trunk . Yeah I loved when I had them on mine but they were no good when I bought the car and me being on a budget I went with the white walls. I love the white walls too but damn do I hate cleaning them and then putting on armor all around them lol

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
I guess it depends on the look he is going for, while I agree it would look cleaner removing the chrome rockers it requires bodywork like grinding the stand offs down and filling holes and I believe on a Cutlass this leaves holes in the urethane bumper also
Yes and the guy at the dealer was basically like if anything breaks I’m screwed so I’m thinking about taking it to a shop who deals with these cars more

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It’s mainly fading on the hood the top and the trunk .
If these are the only areas you are concerned about you might want to consider just getting the top half of the car painted at a quality shop.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Assuming the roof's in good shape, you could conceivably even un-bolt the hood and trunk and have them painted. The paint match might be a little off, taking oxidation and fading into consideration. Depends on how close to a "show quality" paintjob you want. But I think the best results would be from 565bbchevy recommendation. Get the top half of the car painted.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
X3 on the top half of the car getting painted, if it is decent on the sides as it looks, it will require minimal disassembly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor