1999 Suburban 4x4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Anyone with a 90s Full Size GM truck or SUV should be able to answer this. I bought a 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 this past week for use as a winter vehicle/daily driver. It's a Vortec 350, 4L60 trans and electronic 4x4. It all works but today while in park, I tried shifting from 2 Hi to 4 Hi and it did engage but it shifted very hard. Should this happen? Did I do any damage? It engages very smoothly when I'm in drive (and moving, haven't tried from a stop) and I shift from 2 Hi to 4 Hi. I'm a newb to all this 4x4 stuff so it's probably just me being paranoid but i figured I'd ask here.

Nov 4, 2012
I should also mention I'm 95% certain that my foot was on the brake when I did this. Not sure if that matters, but like I said I'm a newb to all this 4x4 stuff.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I had a 95 truck with probably a similar if not identical transfer case and it behaved the way you describe. I never had any problems with it after driving it for quite some time and even after abusing it offroading. I would think it would at least make it through the winter. Maybe try searching on a suitable truck forum if you're still unsure.

Nov 4, 2012
Update: Tried shifting from 2Hi to 4Hi in drive at a stop (foot on brake) and it did shift a little hard again. Still shifts smooth while moving. Maybe just the way these transfer cases are.

Nov 4, 2012
Shifts smooth when trans is in neutral and vehicle is not moving.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I always shift my transmission into neutral before shifting my transfer case and I never have any problems. Make sure you aren't moving when shifting to or from Low Range.

Nov 4, 2012
The dash says nothing about putting it in neutral. You're supposed to be able to shift from 2 hi to 4 hi and vice versa "at any speed" as put by the manual. I think from now on I'll go to neutral before shifting the transfer case, just to be on the safe side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know the instructions don't say to put it in neutral to change from 2HI to 4HI or visa versa but I'm thinking in neutral the clutches in the transmission are spinning freely so when changing from 2 to 4 there won't be any friction when shifting while stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor