2 G-bodies in 2 years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Not exactly new to the forum, but I bought another g-body since I joined about this time last year and since I never posted any pics of my first vehicle I thought I'd do it right this time. Long story short, I finally got my dream car March of '08, 1979 Monte Carlo, which is being worked on by my uncle right now. We put in a 385ci with a Muncie 4-speed and was waiting on an aftermarket 9 inch until a tree f#%*in tree fell on it during an ice storm last winter. I just got my lisence back, and since the Monte is far from ready I had to get some wheels. I was originally looking for something fuel effecient, Hondas to be precise. :oops: Thankfully I ran across an '85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham on Craigslist and never looked back.
It has a 307 and 103,257 miles at the time of purchase. According to the neighborhood mechanic is has a TH400 but I haven't confirmed this. I bought it from an engineering accountant in the next town over who inherited it from his dad who bought it new in '85. It has the original owner's manual and all the service records up to '96 when the original owner passed and the car sat in a barn for years. It had the typical headliner sag and after I drove it for a week the kinks showed up and the heater core burst. Other than that it runs like a champ (after changing the belts, oil, etc).
The only cometic thing I need to do is fix the faded/worn paint on the vinyl cover trim, Anyone know a cheap and easy way to do this? Thanks for checkin out my new ride!

Attachments

• SNC00005.jpg
    SNC00005.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 580
  • SNC00006.jpg
    SNC00006.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 585
  • SNC00011.jpg
    SNC00011.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 591

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Thanks guys! The problem is, now I've got another car to work on! My Monte takes priority, but I'm hoping by next summer to have some extra cash to put in a pair of headers with an h-pipe dual exhaust. And take out all the emissions crap while I'm at it. Haven't decided yet if i'm going to keep the a/c or not...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That looks like a nice, clean car. I would also say that unless you plan on an engine swap, leave the stock emissions controls intact. Removing them may make the car run worse, not better. I would also retain the A/C. Unless you plan on a drag car that runs at least in the 10's, there is no point in removing it.

As for the top trim, see if your local paint shop can match some paint to the vinyl top. You should only need a pint to spray it and make it look as good as new.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
unless you plan on an engine swap, leave the stock emissions controls intact. Removing them may make the car run worse, not better.
I plan on leaving the 307 in it since it's going to be my cruiser and not a street/strip hot rod. What I was thinking of doing, in addition to upgrading the exhaust system, is to swap in a Holley carb and aftermarket manifold. I was talking to a neighbor a couple streets over, who is a mechanic by trade, about my intentions and he suggested that I remove the EGR stuff also. He seems to think that as long as I get headers that have a spot for a CO2 sensor the only negative aspect will be the check engine light constanly on. If I also get a non-EGR manifold, this seems to me that it could work. I want to believe him cause it would free up space under the hood and be less to worry about.

chpbstrd1

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2009
Welcome,
You will have to swap out the computer controlled distributor for an older vacuum advance unit also. It would be wise to install an adjustable vacuum advance canister on it and limit the vacuum advance to 10 -12 degrees.(The stock vacuum advance is set up to run with an EGR system and allows too much advance at part throttle, resulting in detonation)

Double check that transmission, if it is truly a TH400 there will be no issues but if it is a 200 or 2004R you will have to make sure whatever carb you choose has the proper linkages for the TV cable. And once you disconnect all the computer controlled stuff you will lose your factory lock-up on your torque converter. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor