HELP 200-4R - atf spraying out pass side on hard accel only

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What could cause excessive line pressure? my original pump (had no issues for thousands of miles) did the same thing - i swapped pumps thinking i messed sth up back to a stock OEM 7 vane- same issue... ATF puking out the side..

sth else - all I did was shim tolerances tighter, art carr shift kit, sonnax 2-3 accumulator and servo kits, and pump upgrades -

Stuck relief & regulating valves can cause high pressure.

I'm not 100% following, so when did the puke start, on servo install, pump change, or did you change everything at the same time and then it showed up?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
But yeah it sounds like switching to the stock servo would help.

Swap-diagnostics

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is insane how much that is leaking. I have swapped a few of these. That is one of the few places I haven't had them leak. Everywhere else is different story. Inspect everything, especially the outer seal. The trans can run 300 psi, that should not be an issue.

CamaroMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
Stuck relief & regulating valves can cause high pressure.

I'm not 100% following, so when did the puke start, on servo install, pump change, or did you change everything at the same time and then it showed up?

trans was working good but slipping so took it apart complete rebuild - clutches, steels, upgrades, hardened input, carbon wide band, new drum, it happened when I installed the trans back. I didnt try figuring out where it was leaking so just pulled the whole transmission thinking i screwed sth up, but everything was super clean and in spec so put it back together - same issue. I drove this trans for 10 years on and off - 3 cross country trips and a very nice 400hp 350 with a 3k stall, stomped it hard many times :) sorry - memory lane.. she was beat but still driving pretty good considering. Shifted great just slow though but she was rippin..

I can try old servo and see.. I gotta cut collector out on pass side and reweld (i screwed up) so thatll make it real easy to access the servo and see what the heck is going on. Glad I didnt have royal purple or whatever in there! cheapo atf - ive prob lost 3 gallons total.

CamaroMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
Pulled servo cover off - theres no way this oring is new.. already flat and feels on the hard side.. going to get 2 new ones and my old servo- going to have to drop cross member to make room .. will update

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Can you look at the O-ring surfaces? I expect they are good.

I'd throw the original back in with new o-rings for a comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CamaroMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
yes - just got home from work, I compared old oring and it def is a tad thicker. Awesome prod developer from sonnax had a long chat with me today and shed some light on soft and hard oring that came with this design.. im super busy at work and its pitch dark outside so will try sat probably and sort this out..

Im gonna try my old oring first and see -

Reactions: 2 users

CamaroMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
ok new oring- same thing happening.. Sonnax tech rep told me I have to make sure i didnt block the small hole so pulled pan- it didnt seem so but i snipped a small area from cork gasket and grooved the hole into the pan as a fail safe..

will try again in the morning and see.

Is it possible my rear endplay is too tight and fighting fwd? something in the CK manual mentioned this.. I think the 200 is so twitchy regarding clearances and running them that tight opens a whole can of worms and possibilities for things to end up wrong..

Maybe I should just have gone with looser specs, esp since the rear sectino just floats around, its not really a bulletproof system and im getting tired of screwing around with this thing. (famous last words since im usually the diehard guy who literally never gives up but it does feel good saying it anyway).

98620498-3c7c-4fed-84eb-fd24e04774a7.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
ok new oring- same thing happening.. Sonnax tech rep told me I have to make sure i didnt block the small hole so pulled pan- it didnt seem so but i snipped a small area from cork gasket and grooved the hole into the pan as a fail safe..

will try again in the morning and see.

Is it possible my rear endplay is too tight and fighting fwd? something in the CK manual mentioned this.. I think the 200 is so twitchy regarding clearances and running them that tight opens a whole can of worms and possibilities for things to end up wrong..

Maybe I should just have gone with looser specs, esp since the rear sectino just floats around, its not really a bulletproof system and im getting tired of screwing around with this thing. (famous last words since im usually the diehard guy who literally never gives up but it does feel good saying it anyway).
Not sure what we are looking at in the pic.

Regarding the driveshaft, you should have about 3/4"-1" of extra travel into the transmission with the trans yoke. 1/2" is ok for most setups, but you'll never have an issue at 1". If it's tight, then I don't know how that could this issue, but it will be causing an issue somewhere at some point and will need to be addressed soon.

Have you tried to contact Chris at CK? I'm asking because I'll guess that he has an idea of what could cause this. But..........I've contacted him and tried to contact him in the past - it can be challenging at times. His wife and I were on a first name basis for about month some years back from me leaving so many messages.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor